Pentair Chlorinator

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Colatech
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,000 Gal Gunite , Chlorine, sand filter heated

Pentair Chlorinator

Postby Colatech » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 17:14

Hi all and thanks in advance
Jut moved into a new house with an I ground pool. Had had a hard time keeping chlorine levels up, having to add liquid quite a bit. The chlorinator hardly uses any tablets maybe 2 a week. After noticing and investigating, it seems the previous owner has installed the offline chlorinator, a Pentair 300, with both lines plumbed into the same piping going to the pool actually within 2 ft of each other. If my reading of instructions is correct, this is wrong.
Thoughts?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pentair Chlorinator

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 02:08

You are better off not using stabilised tabs because they are continously adding CYA
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Keep using Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) and maybe the tabs when you are on vacation

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”