Old Pool Equipment

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
oldpool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Old Pool Equipment

Postby oldpool » Sat 23 Jan, 2021 10:54

Hi everyone,

Hoping for some help ( as a complete pool newbie!).

We live in the UK and we've recently bought a property which has a swimming pool in the garden. The house and pool were built in the late 1960s/early 1970s and the pool equipment (bar the pump) all look original.

I'm trying to work out whether to keep the pool and wanted to clean it, etc (it's been left full but idle for some time) to try this summer and then decide whether to invest in a complete revamp. Everything seems to work except that the filter multiport vale is stuck on "backwash". The filter is very old (it's metal throughout) and was manufactured by a company called Starbright based out of Los Angeles. I've looked for the company on line but found zero information.

I've removed the multiport vale and it looks heavily corroded. MY QUESTION IS: is there any way of getting the multipart valve unstuck or am I trying in vain?

Any help gratefully received! If anyone can advise how to attach photos to a post - I'll send some across.

Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Old Pool Equipment

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 23 Jan, 2021 13:33

Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop

If it's 50 years old then you will probably find spares are just not available any more. It will probably be best to update the filtration
The MPV should be able to be freed but the spider gasket inside would be perished and not knowing the make unobtainable
Let's have pool construction details
oldpool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby oldpool » Sat 23 Jan, 2021 17:41

Thanks Denniswiseman!

The pool is in the ground and of concrete construction (with a tile band around the top).

There doesn’t appear to be a spider gasket on the filter. Is there a way to attach photos and I could show you what I’m seeing?

Thanks again for all your help.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 24 Jan, 2021 06:55

My previous post had instructions at the beginning for adding images
The spider gasket is in the MPV. They are normally held together with about 6 screws
Take a photo before stripping it down so that it's refitted correctly

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”