New VS pump issues

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
witk
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18,000 gallon

New VS pump issues

Postby witk » Sun 07 Feb, 2021 11:28

Hi -

We just installed Hayward W3SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump to our 18,000 gallon 2" pipe system. We have a rainbow inline top-fill chlorinator that is not filling even with the pump at top speed.

What would be the best way to fix this? A conversion kit for the area before the chlorinator down to 1"? We don't exactly have play space to be adding a ton of line, they request.

A bottom flow inline feeder? Would this get enough flow through the chlorinator?

Or just take it out and get floaters? (I really don't want this option, we have small kids that would play with the floaters, they always seem to get stuck in one spot in the pool, we go away on business/vacation frequently and our chlorine levels are not ever where they should be when we used floaters before.

Another issue is our spa isn't filling to flow over the waterfall anymore - it's not attached to a booster pump or anything, and we don't drain from there, but it always used to spill over. Now the water in there is getting cloudy.

Another option I'm not thinking of? I feel the "plug and play" advertising for this pump was a bit oversold and my amateur-ness is showing.

Also, what would be an optimal "speed" schedule for the new pump? Right now we have 8 hours on "high", 1 hour on "clean" with the pool sweep on, and the rest on "low"

Thank you in advance for any help/tips. We jumped into a house with a pool without any experience.
https://ibb.co/64XDb6G

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: New VS pump issues

Postby Teapot » Mon 08 Feb, 2021 15:25

Making full use of a variable speed pump requires a bit more than just swapping the single speed pump.
To answer your chlorine dosing issue buy a peristaltic dosing pump like the zodiac, other makes are available.
https://www.zodiac-poolcare.co.uk/chlor-expert

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”