PVC Leak

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
R3DB34RD
I'm new here
I'm new here

PVC Leak

Postby R3DB34RD » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 21:02

I have a leak at the pipe/valve joint circled. I haven’t done pool pvc repairs before but willing to try. The pool builder went fitting to fitting to fitting on this so it’s not as easy to just make a couple cuts and add some couplings. Any suggestions?[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210303/72cd4e71cbf2c3390ed690e338fea0bc.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Re: PVC Leak

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 18:15

Well that is a very considerate pool builder.

One solution could be to use a water proof putty externally. We have a product locally called Emmerkitt that is effective in this situation for small leaks. Effectively you would coat the leaking part with the product let dry and hope it holds well enough.

I am afraid the other solution is not one I would attempt as my first pvc repair. It may be possible to repair however it will depend a lot on how experienced the repair person is. It would likely involve removing the entire construct and replacing parts of it concurrently. I would hazard a guess this is how it may have been built and this leak is the outcome.

More than likely this pvc needs a rebuild to make this repair.
R3DB34RD
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby R3DB34RD » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 18:31

Bummer.

Since my original post, I have found these reamer tools on Amazon that can remove old pipe/glue from the valve socket. I am toying with the idea of cutting out the chlorinator (I never use it) and using one of these reamer tools to try and reuse/reglue the valve socket to new pipe. Chances of success???Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 04:38

I havent seen these tools they are likely not available to me.

As the chlorinator is not in use it may be worth a try.

A simpler solution may be to cut just below the elbow adjacent to the chlorinator, from the photo this looks like it is pipe and not a fitting. I also think a joiner/socket, could be added here allowing the pipe work to be changed. It may not be as 'tidy' looking however should be simpler for a first PVC project.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”