Polaris 360 wheel rotates once then stops

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
jwdylan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Concrete inground, '70s classic kidney, 10' deep. Pentair pump, Polaris 360 cleaner

Polaris 360 wheel rotates once then stops

Postby jwdylan » Sat 03 Apr, 2021 21:32

My brand new Polaris 360 pool cleaner worked perfectly out of the box for about 2 weeks and I couldn't be happier.
Then I noticed it was just sitting face down at the bottom of the pool.
On examination, I see that the single wheel goes exactly ONE rotation, then stops, even though there is ample water pressure.
It feels like there is some obstruction on that particular spot on the gear, because I can force the wheel (doesn't take much) and there will be a click and the wheel will rotate one time again, then stop because it can't overcome the obstruction at that point of the rotation (whatever it may be).
I can manually rotate it backwards or forwards for the ONE rotation. If I want more rotations, I have to manually turn it past the click.
I took the unit out of the pool and removed the cover to check the gears and belts.
Belts are fine, and the gears look fine as well, with no broken pieces or debris. It looks like a brand new unit (which it is).
When I manually rotate the wheel the allowed ONE rotation, it stops at a place on the gears that looks exactly like the rest of the gear mechanism.
I suppose I could have dismantled the unit down to the driveshaft, but I don't want to take it apart if that's not the issue.
Right now the unit is back together and in the pool, sitting on the bottom, face down, wheels not turning (unless I manually move it past the clink when it will rotate ONCE around back to the same spot).
Any help would be appreciated.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”