Sand Filter does not backwash solids

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Schmo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' Round 48" Tall, 12" Sand Filter w/ 1/2 HP pump, Saltwater system

Sand Filter does not backwash solids

Postby Schmo » Fri 16 Jul, 2021 17:34

Hello everyone. I have a new this year RX Clear sand filter system, 12" filter that came with a 1/2 HP pump.

I am having issues getting solids/waste to back flush properly. After running the first few weeks of the season and frequently back flushing (at least twice a week) the sand filter developed a scum/solids layer on top of the sand that was restricting flow and raised system pressure significantly. After cleaning this out pressures returned to normal.
I setup the filter based on the manufacturers recommendation of about 75 lbs of sand.

I removed roughly 10 to 15 lbs of sand after this issue thinking there may be too much sand for this little pump to properly agitate and clean during the back flushing. The following month or so of use and back flushing I see the pressure is consistently rising even after back flushing. I am debating removing more sand, but I am also wondering if this pump is simply too small for this filter. There is plenty of water flow during the back flush and even running it for 2+ minutes yields no different results.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Sand Filter does not backwash solids

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 17 Jul, 2021 08:17

I would be inclined to put the correct amount of sand back in the filter
That "Scum" is probably sun screen or other body application that has been introduced into the pool
Schmo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' Round 48" Tall, 12" Sand Filter w/ 1/2 HP pump, Saltwater system

Postby Schmo » Sat 17 Jul, 2021 09:10

We don't really use sunscreen, very rarely. I do use algaecide, but I thought that was the whole point of backwashing, to clean that stuff out of the sand.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 18 Jul, 2021 07:03

A properly sanitised pool doesn't need algaecide
Have you used Floc as that will bung up your filter
Normally pumps are matched to the filter as excessive flow through a filter doesn't filter properly
Let's have your numbers (CYA is very important) Use a pool store if you don't have a FAS/DPD kit
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”