Go back to single speed pump?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
fozzybear
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground pool. Return lines still copper.

Go back to single speed pump?

Postby fozzybear » Fri 24 Sep, 2021 17:59

Hi, I have an old inground pool built with the house in the 60s. The suction line from the skimmer to the pump has been replaced with 2" PVC. The return lines are still the orignal 1.5" copper. The pump that I need to replace is a 4 1/2 year old Pentair SuperFlo. It turns on with a blinking LED and even the ondcumented three button reset doesn't fix it. Since it looks like the drive has failed and that's over half the code of the entire pump it looks like I need to get a new pump.

I know the 1.5" return line limits the amount of water that can be moved and professionals have so far recommended other VS pumps. But then a professional told me to go back to using a 0.5 or .075 HP pump because it's cheaper and also because a VS pump at higher speeds can cause water flow that quickens the erosion of old copper return lines.

The other factor is that I'm renting this house out so I don't do the pool maitenence. The tenants use a service, and while I have seen no problems with the job they've done, I would worry that might run the pump faster than what's recommended for old copper pipes.

Is the last guy correct? That too fast of a flow can erode old copper plumbing even further? I know I'll have to replace them some day but I don't want to further the process along if I can help it.

Thanks,
fozzy

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Go back to single speed pump?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 25 Sep, 2021 04:05

Never heard of copper pipes being eroded by water flow. It's used in plumbing and heating systems with no effect for decades
I've seen them leaking through external factors as they move against sharp stones even a nail bent over to hold it in place
Albiet slower filtration all round is better
It seems like it's "Pick Your Professional" time as they all differ
The deciding factor should be is the pump matched to your filter
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Go back to single speed pump?

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 25 Sep, 2021 13:34

Your professional is an idiot!
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”