Pentair Intelliflow VSF Pump - How long to run?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
foamfoot
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Small kidney shaped pool about 8ft at the deep end. We have a Pentair Intelliflow VSF pump that was installed within the last 5 years. We have solar heating.

Pentair Intelliflow VSF Pump - How long to run?

Postby foamfoot » Wed 29 Dec, 2021 12:39

Hello, we are new pool owners and hoping for some advice. We have a normal/smallish sized kidney shaped pool about 8ft deep at the deep end. We have a Pentair Intelliflow VSF pump which I hear is really great. Unfortunately we are hearing conflicting information on how long we should run it. The first pool guy we talked to said run it only 4 hours a day in the winter. The second said you need to run this type of pump 12 hours a day regardless but since it is so energy efficient that is saving us money.

We wont be using the pool until spring time (winter in California but not freezing temps). I know how to program the pump but do you have any guidance on how long it should run per day and at what speed? I want to use the speed function not the flow function. I heard the flow function masks other problems because it will go faster if something is clogged and then you end up with a major issue.

Thank you for your help here!

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pentair Intelliflow VSF Pump - How long to run?

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 30 Dec, 2021 03:25

Being kidney shaped do you have a light obscuring winter cover?
Keep in mind that the skimmer only works when the pump is running so a short run means dirt, leaves, pollen etc will sink to the bottom when the system is off.
All variable speed pumps need a flow meter to optimise efficiency. What type of filter do you have? What size is your pool? What size is the plumbing?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
foamfoot
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Small kidney shaped pool about 8ft at the deep end. We have a Pentair Intelliflow VSF pump that was installed within the last 5 years. We have solar heating.

Re: Pentair Intelliflow VSF Pump - How long to run?

Postby foamfoot » Thu 30 Dec, 2021 13:22

Thanks @Teaspot1. I have a retractable light obscuring winter cover for sure. I get that the skimmer only works when the pump is on and so far running it 4 hours a day with the cover on and the pool sweep running it has been pretty good at keeping things clean. I dont know how many gallons are in the pool... I know its about 8ft deep in the deep end and about 34 feet long by 16.5 feet wide at the widest (kidney shaped of course). The pump is a Pentair Clean and Clear if that means anything.

Let me know if that is the right information you are looking for. I am unfortunately a newb here. Thank you so much!!

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”