Do these cover repair quotes seem reasonable?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Involute
I'm new here
I'm new here

Do these cover repair quotes seem reasonable?

Postby Involute » Tue 04 Jan, 2022 14:10

We have a rectangular in-ground pool with an integrated cover that rolls up via a hydraulic motor into a vault at one end. The rolling up stopped the other day and the maintenance company initially said the contactor blocks inside the hydraulic powerpack needed to be replaced. Later, they said that, actually, the whole powerpack had to be replaced since the contactor blocks will just short out (after some indeterminate time less than a year) due to whatever the problem is in the powerpack. So, they want $4K to replace the powerpack, or $900 to replace just the contactor blocks, though the blocks would be unwarranted since they could short out at any time. Does any of this make sense? The powerpack is about nine years old.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Do these cover repair quotes seem reasonable?

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 05 Jan, 2022 03:27

Without more information or photos I couldn't possibly answer.
What is the cause of contactor blocks shorting, water ingress? Is that due to gasket failure?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 05 Jan, 2022 08:40

Have you spoken to the manufacturer
Involute
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Involute » Wed 05 Jan, 2022 13:52

Here's a photo of the powerpack. I don't know what's causing the contactor failure. I haven't spoken to the manufacturer. Which one should I speak to, the manufacturer of the powerpack or of the pool cover system? Another tech I spoke to suggests I just add some more hydraulic fluid. The level is 2" - 3" below the top of the tank. I'm happy to try, but neither he nor I know what's in there now, and I'm leery of mixing different types. He said automatic transmission fluid would be fine. Any thoughts on that?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 07 Jan, 2022 09:59

Check with the powerpack manufacturers
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”