Independent chlorinator reviews under test conditions.

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Up2you2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12x4 metres, depth 1.2 -1.6, skimmer box, Astral pump, Emaux filter, chlorine tablets.

Independent chlorinator reviews under test conditions.

Postby Up2you2 » Thu 06 Jan, 2022 23:15

Currently I am using a Astral chlorine dispenser.
I am more than prepared to consider some kind of an electrical alternative, if again I can convince myself of the reliability merits of such a system.
Here in Thailand these devices do not come cheap, secondly there's also the cost of renewal cartridges.

Can anybody please point me to any chlorinator reviews, under the same test conditions, that would differentiate the pros and cons of each alternative.
Tried, tested and reviewed by a respected authority connected to the industry?

Up2you2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12x4 metres, depth 1.2 -1.6, skimmer box, Astral pump, Emaux filter, chlorine tablets.

Re: Independent chlorinator reviews under test conditions.

Postby Up2you2 » Sat 22 Jan, 2022 23:12

25 views but no replies - hmm.
Got to be more than trial and error to this, difficult to believe that there is not some kind of authoritative report on the different companies that are manufacturing and selling this equipment.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 23 Jan, 2022 03:14

I can't offer any advice on what to purchase or independant reviews if their is any
However using Trichlor or Dichlor keeps introducing CYA which is undesireable

Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Continuous use of Trichlor/Dichlor will raise your CYA which means you have to raise your chlorine level as well

I use liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 23 Jan, 2022 03:22

Maybe there is but I haven't come across one.
In the years that I have been involved in the industry some things have changed. The old power hungry power supplies used to last a good long time but cost more to run. The later models used switch mode power supplies that use less electricity but switch mode power supplies seem to fail more frequently. Cheaper models would suggest cheaper components like capacitors (condensers) and triacs where as better brands would probably use more expensive components. Likewise the cell life, thinner plating of the electrodes in the cell doesn't last as long. Then we have owners who dont check the salt levels so the unit is under stress trying to produce chlorine from too little salt or doing the opposite with too much salt.

Now if you have really good hydraulics and filtration you remove more fine particles from the water so you need less chlorine or the same amount of chlorine but produced less often because the chlorine lasts longer. Also protecting the chlorine from the sun's UV with cyanuric acid or ACO from Dryden Aqua. All these things along with the hardness of the water effect the longevity of the unit. I will probably change to a Dryden Aqua Daisy chlorinator, this system uses lower salt 1500ppm and produces a small amount of chlorine as its main priority is to produce active oxygen hydroxyls, a far more potent killer and sanitiser leaving just a small amount of residual chlorine in the water. The cell is designed in a different way to lessen the chances of a short circuit between the plates, this factor means other companies that do not assemble the cell in the same way can suffer early failures of the power supplies which could also spike other electronics causing a total failure.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”