That 'ole parts conundrum

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

That 'ole parts conundrum

Postby AussieSwimmer » Mon 28 Mar, 2022 09:27

Does this sound familiar?

Simple plastic part broken (Pentair 'Clean & Clear' cartridge filter locking ring). The chase begins - the recommended dealers have no clue, back to Pentair, they point me to a parts distributor that won't talk to me unless I'm a contractor.

No go on Amazon.

While I wait to see if anyone has a lead on this forum, I'm going to warm up my tubes of JB Weld and see if I can fashion some kind of temporary repair. Why oh why do we get pushed into these time consuming BS routines? Good luck with your Spring repairs!!

24,000 gal in-ground pool.
Ongoing restoration work (previously abandoned)
Taylor TF100 test kit
Silver Spring, MD
USA
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: That 'ole parts conundrum

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 11:56

Time to change to a sand filter filled Not with sand but Dr Drydens AFM ng filtration media. Simply the best, saves money on cartridges, will give you the best water quality lower chlorine consumption.
https://www.drydenaqua.com/afm/afm-ng

PS don't by Pentair, stuff breaks.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

Postby AussieSwimmer » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 16:07

Hello Teapot1,

Interesting - have sent the company an inquiry.

The filter itself is doing a good job. The locking ring had split all the way around into 2 halves, and JB weld seems to have worked (running now). I don't have any evidence that the Pentair line is particularly prone to breakage. I do think this filter is probably undersized for the pool it maintains, but that was the decision of a prior owner. Everything needs to come out and be rebuilt this spring (proper mounting pad, upgrade to variable speed pump, new chlorinator, etc). For now, I am circulating water thru the existing filter system.
24,000 gal in-ground pool.
Ongoing restoration work (previously abandoned)
Taylor TF100 test kit
Silver Spring, MD
USA
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 17:39

The last pentair products I have supplied including on my own setup have suffered things like handle breakages on bachwash valves and various elements within the valves have failed. Now switching to similar Jandy manufactured parts that are much stronger in construction. Good luck with the rebuild of the pad, remember radius bends or 2x 45 degree elbows rather than tight knuckle bends. That will allow a slower speed pump setting saving you more power.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”