Help! Air in pump basket and return line.

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Bgosper1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 foot round above ground. Hayward pump and sand filter with multiport valve.

Help! Air in pump basket and return line.

Postby Bgosper1 » Wed 11 May, 2022 14:59

I have tried everything to get this air out. Pump will fill for the most part but there is a lot of air in the basket under the clear lid.
Checked hose and clamps from skimmer to pump. Ok. Resealed and taped male fitting at skimmer. Ok. Replaced and greased O ring that connects the pump skimmer basket housing to the pump. Ok. Sprayed soap soap bubbles around fittings and multivalve at the top of the filter. No issues seen. Enough water in the pool and weir door ok.
So here is what I do notice.
The filter pressure gets high. Tried backwashing but it goes right back up

Return line has good pressure but shooting air and water back into the pool.
When I turn off the pump, I huge “burp” of air comes back into the pump and skimmer with enough force to push water and the skimmer basket out of the skimmer.

Also noticed if I move the multivalve to backwash with it turned off, air comes out of the backwash port.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Help! Air in pump basket and return line.

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 12 May, 2022 11:45

Bgosper1 wrote:So here is what I do notice.
The filter pressure gets high. Tried backwashing but it goes right back up

When I turn off the pump, I huge “burp” of air comes back into the pump and skimmer with enough force to push water and the skimmer basket out of the skimmer.

Tried backwashing the filter? As Yoda said "there is no try" you either have successfully backwashed the filter or haven't. Many people do not backwash for long enough and some domestic filters do not backwash well. When did you last open the filter and give it a real clean, remove the sand if necessary. Seen loads of filters where fine debris like clay has built up over the years and wouldn't backwash out.

Your other symptom is due to the high pressure in the system and some compressing of the air. So tackle the filter first. You could also have a blockage somewhere.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Bgosper1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 foot round above ground. Hayward pump and sand filter with multiport valve.

Postby Bgosper1 » Thu 12 May, 2022 16:46

I fixed it. The hose running from the skimmer to the pump had a small crack under the clamp I could t see. While the pump was running you could not see the leak I assume due to the suction.
But as soon as turned off the pump the water would leak out from under the clamp.

Put a new hose in and voila all set!
Crazy little thing caused so much trouble.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 12 May, 2022 23:29

Yes they can and tiniest of leaks. What about your high pressure, thats costing you money to.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 13 May, 2022 01:52

Thanks for posting back as your solution can help others

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”