Hayward Pump to Filter connection issue

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
jred
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground, 18ft round. Sand filter, hayward pump.

Hayward Pump to Filter connection issue

Postby jred » Thu 16 Jun, 2022 14:46

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I have had this problem for a couple of years and have asked numerous pool places for help to no avail. I'm hopeful someone here can assist and I would be very grateful. I have a Hayward SP151 Pump and the original owners of the home had replaced the tube from the pump to the filter with a flimsy piece of plastic that kept popping off and of course half the pool would be empty by the time I got home and noticed water shooting everywhere. I went to various pool places for a new tube and everyone said it was proprietary and only Hayward supplied them. I went to hayward and they said they don't sell tubes. So I ended up putting together some MacGuyver tube with those plumbing rings but I still have leaks as it is not completely secure no matter how much I tighten them. Any suggestions on some generic type of tubing or more secure connectors that I can use?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tiid2hCX4LsBc7t9A

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Hayward Pump to Filter connection issue

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 17 Jun, 2022 08:42

You have a 1hp on a small filter, thats just mad!
Dont know how large or small your pool is but add a speed controller, increase the size of the filter plumb it to suit and save a fortune in electricity
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
jred
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground, 18ft round. Sand filter, hayward pump.

Postby jred » Fri 17 Jun, 2022 12:41

Thanks Teapot! I'm confused by your reply though. Are you saying the pump is too powerful for the filter? Or not enough? FYI, I have a Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch filter. Pool is 18ft round. I haven't had any issues to be honest other than this tube problem. But I am interested what you think as I am new to pools (4 years) and the pump was here when we moved in. So it's entirely possible it is the wrong one to use for our setup. Thanks for the help!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 18 Jun, 2022 14:52

The pump is way too powerful (large) you'll be building up pressure you don't need and its costing you money but not for any gain.
You could run a 1/4 hp motor on that size filter. Or a speed controller. Even changing to a 20 or 24 inch filter would need only 1/2 -3/4hp pump.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”