DE not sticking on Filter: back in pool

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
wonfineday
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground, plaster, about 20,000 gallons.

DE not sticking on Filter: back in pool

Postby wonfineday » Fri 17 Jun, 2022 15:29

My filter was working fine. Then backwashed and cleaned it thoroughly. I added DE through the skimmer, and it all ended up back in the pool. I opened up the filter and there is basically no DE on the filter.

Is replacing the filter grid the only possibility? (the grids are about $400 to $600) to replace. Would I be better off replacing the entire filter, given that my system is 15+ years old? (new filter with install would cost about $1,000).

I have the Sta-Rite system:3 filter. One of the "edges" is completely split - not sure if that is torn, or is that the beginning/end of the filter material. https://photos.app.goo.gl/98VHPD8xQR67EThm7

I'd really appreciate some advice/help? Thanks!
Ro

Paul Land
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18' Round Pentair dynamo pool filter 1st stage Hayward EC50 D.E. 2nd stage. 48vDC Solar/Battery@120v 50% pool pump power.

Re: DE not sticking on Filter: back in pool

Postby Paul Land » Sat 18 Jun, 2022 11:10

Leak or holes in gaskets and or fingerss
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 19 Jun, 2022 01:13

Never been a fan of DE, expensive, messy, too much free silica dust, can't use flocculent etc etc.
If you want to replace, I would use a sand filter with Dr Drydens Activate AFM ng filter media instead of sand. Never needs changing, filters down to 1 micron and below that with flocculent. Doesnt biofoul so bacteria cannot grow on its surface.
https://www.drydenaqua.com/afm/afm-ng
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
wonfineday
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground, plaster, about 20,000 gallons.

Postby wonfineday » Thu 23 Jun, 2022 16:28

I am happy to report back that I got everything working again. I reseated the filter a few times, and turned the backwash valve up/down a few times. And lo and behold the DE stopped getting spit back. My take is (i) the filter needs to be positioned a certain way (ii) the split seam is really an end-seam and the filter was not torn. Hope these updates will help someone else in the future. I have sparkling clean water now :)

A lot (most!) of the DE has been sucked out by the pump but I do have quite-a-bit still at the bottom of the pool. Can the DE be vacuumed? Any other ideas to get the last of the DE out? Thanks!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 24 Jun, 2022 05:20

Vacuum it and it will go back into the filter
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 24 Jun, 2022 07:55

When you get bored change to the better system I suggested.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”