Suggestions for Repairing or Replacing the SG2000 Pentair Fiber Optic Pool Light

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
rickcaylor
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 35,000 Gallon San Juan 1 Piece Fiberglass with Non Working PG2000 Pentair Light and Gas Heater installed in 2004.

Suggestions for Repairing or Replacing the SG2000 Pentair Fiber Optic Pool Light

Postby rickcaylor » Thu 04 Aug, 2022 20:16

My name is Rick Caylor from MO. I have a 1 piece San Juan Fiberglass 35,000 gallon pool.

It was installed in 2004 and they installed the PG2000 Pentair Fiber Optic Lighting system with 1 Light or Fiber Run.

I have repaired the PG2000 several times. Replaced almost every part in it over the past 18 years and this time, I cannot get it to power at all any more and since I cannot find a new PG2000 Pentair assembly, I have to either find someone with superior knowledge that can rebuild my existing unit or purchase something to replace it.

When the pool was installed, the installer put the one Fiber Optic run about 3' below the water level. He cut the hole in the pool for the socket and then put it in and put the nut on the back and then glued it in really good, so it likely bonded to the fiberglass. Then ran the Fiber Optic cable and cut it and put the Lens cover on and then siliconed it really good and we remember him saying that this is put together to never be taken apart.

So I contacted San Juan Pools about draining the water lever below the Fiber Optic Cover and they said that the pool has to have support beams put into it to keep it from cracking when the water is let down.

So all of this, makes it really hard to consider draining the pool to get to the Fiber Optic cable cover, only to have to likely do damage to the pool by trying to remove the cover to be able to remove the Fiber Optic Cable and replace it with an LED cable to convert to an LED lighting system, like the SR Smith PT6001.

Since that seems like it is not an option, I was looking at the PT6004 LED to Fiber Optic option, also called a Fiber Optic Illuminator.

I am discussing this option with a tech from SR Smith and he thinks it might work, but said I would need to remove the Fiber Optic cable from the current port and put it in the new port that comes with the 6004 unit and then use a hot knife, to re cut the fiber ends and then install. He was concerned if the current length of the fiber optic cable would be long enough, as there is not much slack in the original install.

So after talking today with San Juan and SR Smith and learning all of the above, I thought I would ask Pentair if they have anyone that can rebuild the PG2000 that I have or know of any old inventory any where that I might be able to purchase a new one?

The rep was a really nice guy and he asked me to supply all of this information to him by e-mail, so he could run it up the latter to the head tech, as he said he gets a lot of calls like mine.

Everything around the pool is under a concrete deck now, so no easy option to add other lights, as water would have to be drained, wall supports put into place in the pool and then break out the patio / deck and dig and run new equipment.

Would sure love to hear if anyone has any other suggestions to do or if they have ever installed the 6004 Fiber Optic Illuminator unit and how good did it do?

If you got all the way down to this, Thank you very much for reading and Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer assistance.

Swimming in the Dark,

Rick

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”