Pump shorted, can it be fixed?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
tloomos
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10k gallon inground pool, Jandy equipment

Pump shorted, can it be fixed?

Postby tloomos » Tue 15 Nov, 2022 14:02

Noticed my breaker had tripped so I reset it, and within a few seconds it tripped again. When I opened up the wiring compartment on the pump, it was charred and you could smell the burn. Noticed that when the pump was installed, they didn't seal one of the openings into the compartment, so guessing that either water or a critter got in there to cause the damage. 

I had hoped I could simply cut off the bad part of the wire (or run new if not enough length) and reattach the wires and be back up and running, but it's not going to be so easy. 2 of the three terminals are fine, but the third one was so brittle when iI touched it with a screwdriver to loosen, it just fell off. There's nothing left of that terminal connection point. It looks like those terminals are on a circuit board, and before I go any further, wondering if I might be able to open the pump up and just replace that circuit board??

The pump is a Jandy VSPLUSHP model number VSPH270AUT

Here's a picture of the scorched terminal block: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6QoGgQ2YZ1qrSjsD7

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pump shorted, can it be fixed?

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 16 Nov, 2022 17:29

Hmm something fried itself, I dont think I would feel comfortable using that pump again if water has found its way in could be nasty and you are relying on your GFCI for saving people from electric shock. If you do repair it check you have enough life insurance in place.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
tloomos
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10k gallon inground pool, Jandy equipment

Postby tloomos » Tue 22 Nov, 2022 10:24

I was able to find a used control unit on ebay for $400 and that got things back up and running. I made sure the port the installer left open into the control unit is now sealed so hopefully that will prevent this issue from happening again.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 22 Nov, 2022 12:18

Good outcome, glad you got it sorted.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”