Baracuda problems

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Corbotley

Baracuda problems

Postby Corbotley » Sat 20 Oct, 2007 02:31

The inlet suction for my baracuta seems to oscilate between momentary high and low levels of suction. When this happens, the waterfall feature loses pressure (operates off the return).

Thanks,

Corbett

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 20 Oct, 2007 11:50

The inlet suction for my baracuta seems to oscilate between momentary high and low levels of suction. When this happens, the waterfall feature loses pressure (operates off the return).

You need to check why your pump is unpriming and causing system to loose pressure?
you can unplug baracuda and see if you still have problem.
If there is no problem when baracuda is unpluged then it's the baracuda causing pump to get air & unprime.
Is your baracuda climbing to high out of water and causing pump to loose prime? It comes with hose weight & when put on & adjusted will stop problem.
There could be a hole in one of the hoses or a hose not plugged in correctly. lift each hose out of water and listen for leak. A sign that one of hoses is leaking would be air bubbles comingfrom return lines. These bubbles should go away after pump fully primes.
You can also check pumpbasket for debris, lube pump basket lid, check impeller for debris, check fliter pressure for possible backwash/cleaning time.
Corbotley

pool baracuta

Postby Corbotley » Sat 20 Oct, 2007 14:10

thanks

It appears that the air from the hose is causing the pump to lose priming. I can both hear and see air coming into the pump.

Should the hose and filter part of the hose be submerged at all times?

corbett
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 20 Oct, 2007 14:30

It appears that the air from the hose is causing the pump to lose priming. I can both hear and see air coming into the pump.

Should the hose and filter part of the hose be submerged at all times?

it's normal that the hoses float, if you know which hose is leaking then seperate and buy replacement.
the baracuda's hose are all indivual hoses that go together to make one hose.
Over time they collapse, break, get pin holes.
the baracuda's hose which connects to regulator in skimmer should always be under water. If not you would always being sucking air and would hear a gurgling noise. A good protection for the hose coming out of skimmer to pool is to take a old indivual hose cut off ends and split it down the middle. Then spread in around new hose which will protect it from the rubbing against the tile which causes holes.
jessie

having problems

Postby jessie » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 00:26

im trying to connect my vacuum to my pool and it sucks for a while them all of a sudden it seems to be blocked and imk not sure why.. i have looked for air in it and cant seem to find any air coming out im not sure what to do about it...
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sun 11 Nov, 2007 14:40

im trying to connect my vacuum to my pool and it sucks for a while them all of a sudden it seems to be blocked and imk not sure why.. i have looked for air in it and cant seem to find any air coming out im not sure what to do about it...

I think your talking about your baracuda sense it's in this thread?

If you put it back in pool & it starts & stops & no air is comming from return lines check filter gauge reading & see if filter may need cleaning/backwash.

If filter pressure is normal then check diaphragm which is the rubber part that causes suction. It's the same for either G-3 or G-4 baracuda & is white or yellow.

You can take baracuda out of water with pump off unplug hose & unscrew the back of baracuda from body. It pulls out & again unscrews & pulls apart. You can take clip ring off & inspect diaphragm for hole or sometimes it just becomes to thin.

These come with 2yr warranty so you canget replaced at place you bought or buy new one which is around $40.
strings

barracuda g2 help

Postby strings » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:12

hi there

i am a proud newbie pool owner .

i have a barracuda g2 inground automatic pool cleaner that only pulses for a few seconds after i connect it to the pool pump.

I do not know whats wrong with it.

there is a strong suction coming from its mouth but it doesnt seem to want to move or pulsate at all once it comes into contact with the pool floor.

please help
lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby lonestar » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:46

Are you priming the vacuum hose?

With the hoses attached to the G2, stick the G2 in the water and slowly feed the rest of the hose into the water. I push it directly down so that it goes several feet underwater. This is to push the air out of the top part of the hose your feeding and suck the water into it (like pushing a straw under water.) When you reach the end of the hose attach it with the pump running. Now theres only 2 feet or so of air in the line and the pump can usually reprime itself and start the G2 moving. Give the pump a few minutes to do this. Turn the pump off and seek more help if it does not.

Alternately, check the procedures above for checking your hoses and take a look at the diaphram in the "mouth" of the G2. This is the only moving part on it and might need to be replaced. Ide take the whole head in to the pool store to have them show you how to get the diaphram out the first time (if you havent gotten it running of course.)

any other suggestions?
-alan
strings

Postby strings » Fri 30 Jan, 2009 02:01

Yes, I primed the vacuum hose.

As you've mentioned, I think the problem is largely to do with the diaphragm, because I've replaced it with another one. The barracuda does pulse and move now, but it works for about ten minutes before it stops.

It starts working again, after i give the head a good shake. The bottom of my pool has alot of fine floating dead algae that accumulates under water like a dark dusty cloud. I think maybe that this is what blocks it from working?

Also I had a pool friend come over to have a look, and he thinks that the suction in my skimmer box is rather weak. We tried forcing a hose down the hole in the skimmer box to flush out anything that could be potentially blocking it, but the hose only goes in for about a metre and wont go in any further. He said it should be able to go in more.

also is it normal to see my pump half filled with water when it is operating?

???
lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby lonestar » Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:47

The pump half filled with water is a possible problem. A pump given enough flow would fill up all the way. Sometimes the pump requires too much water flow for the system to provide (it will always be half full unless you replaced it with a smaller pump or went drilling holes in the pool to run extra water.)

You may be sucking air from somewhere in the pump or between the pump and the skimmers/main drain. I would first use silicone lubricant on the pump pot basket. If this doesnt solve it try running a water hose over the fittings before the pump, letting it run on each fitting in the pipes for about a minute.

Please note the pressure on your filter. What type of filter is it? The filter may need to be cleaned.

Ide bet its one of those two things but if not: The impeller may be partially clogged. There may be a clog in one of the skimmers.
strings

Postby strings » Sun 01 Feb, 2009 03:51

my filter is a sand filter and its pressure is reading low just under normal.
Ive only got one skimmer so i really hope its not blocked.

I've tried priming the pump system on my own.
When I twisted off the pump cap (after turning the pump off), there was ALOT of bubbles that rose out of the suction hole in the skimmer box. I waited for it to settle before shoving a running hose into the suction hole.

Doing that got water gushing out of the pump. I cleaned the pump basket and lubed it along with the oring like what you said. then i replaced the pump cap whilst at the same time got a friend to turn the hose off.
I sort of had the idea of trying to trap as much water in the pump as i could.

And it partially worked. I just couldnt get out the pocket of air that was trapped under the cap as i closed it. I switched the pump back on and it filled with water before dropping down to 3/4.

I ran a hose over the fittings before the pump and its still pretty much the same at 3/4 filled.

the suction has improved but the pump is still not entirely full. its enough to get my barracuda going smoothly though.

is it still a big issue that its only 1/4 empty?
lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby lonestar » Sun 01 Feb, 2009 10:37

No. It may be air coming in that you cannot fix easily or cheaply (somewhere in the ground) or it may be that the pump does not get enough flow having only one skimmer and a main drain to "feed" it.

so the easy answer is no. dont worry about it. as long as the pump doesnt loose prime and the G2 works rock on.

but your filter pressure is still reading under normal? is this normal for you or normal according to the last pool owner? have you backwashed the filter?

-alan
strings

Postby strings » Sun 01 Feb, 2009 20:33

So, I checked my pump this morning and its dropped back to its half filled state again :( but the suctions enough to still get the barracuda going.

Umm.. the gauge on my filter doesn't show numerically. Its only got a dial that points to low normal or high. So its reading just below normal.

No, I've never backwashed it, although I have thought about it. Do you mind writing a clear set of instructions on how to backwash my particular system.
I'll give you the specs.

- inground pool
- one skimmer box
- 2 return lines and a main drain

- 1 skimmer valve
- enduro pump (below water level I think because the water in the pump rises when i remove its lid)
- multiport valve sand filter connected to cholrinator and to the returns.

the multi port valve has filter, backwash, close, rinse, circulate, waste.

I'll still continue to try prime the pump until I can get it 100%

REALLY appreciate your feedback alan
lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby lonestar » Mon 02 Feb, 2009 10:37

First, identify your backwash line coming out of the multiport valve. Labeling everything with a marker will help you memorize it for the future. Your looking for the backwash line because you want to extend the hose or open any valves that may be on it. It may not have anything attached to it at all and just blow straight into the yard from where it sits but often there is a flexible blue hose or hard plumbed pvc pipe that leads out to the grass.

NOTE: Never move the filter valve with the pump on.

Backwashing a Sand Filter:

Step 1: Turn pump off. Extend backwash hose. Open any valves on backwash line.

Step 2: With pump off, turn filter valve to “backwash” setting.
Turn pump on. Run filter at least 1 minute until the water runs clear.

Step 3: Turn pump off. Turn filter valve to “rinse” setting.
Turn pump on. Run filter approx 1 minute until water runs clear.

Repeat steps 2 and 3. If filter is very dirty it may require 3 or more backwashings.

Step 4: Turn pump off. Turn filter valve to “filter” position. Turn pump on.
strings

around in circles

Postby strings » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 03:20

thanks for the instructions

I've just backwashed the system and my pump is going 100% with full water.

It seems that I cannot leave my pool without a day unmaintained, because another algal bloom looks very prominent. the old algea which I thought I had killed with a pretty large dose of cl has once again turned into a healthy green colour all because of a complacent day I had yesterday.

I think the pool cover I have is playing a large role in promoting the algal growth, because Ive read that a rise in water temperature with low water flow (as i only have one skimmer feeding the pump) can lead to these blooms.

But then, I bought the pool cover to catch the oily gum leaves that constantly fall into my pool. Its a constant battle with algae

O my pump is reading at around 10kpa - so i think with calculation its on 1.45psi.

So what do you think?

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”