Baracuda problems

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
strings

Postby strings » Sun 01 Feb, 2009 03:51

my filter is a sand filter and its pressure is reading low just under normal.
Ive only got one skimmer so i really hope its not blocked.

I've tried priming the pump system on my own.
When I twisted off the pump cap (after turning the pump off), there was ALOT of bubbles that rose out of the suction hole in the skimmer box. I waited for it to settle before shoving a running hose into the suction hole.

Doing that got water gushing out of the pump. I cleaned the pump basket and lubed it along with the oring like what you said. then i replaced the pump cap whilst at the same time got a friend to turn the hose off.
I sort of had the idea of trying to trap as much water in the pump as i could.

And it partially worked. I just couldnt get out the pocket of air that was trapped under the cap as i closed it. I switched the pump back on and it filled with water before dropping down to 3/4.

I ran a hose over the fittings before the pump and its still pretty much the same at 3/4 filled.

the suction has improved but the pump is still not entirely full. its enough to get my barracuda going smoothly though.

is it still a big issue that its only 1/4 empty?

lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby lonestar » Sun 01 Feb, 2009 10:37

No. It may be air coming in that you cannot fix easily or cheaply (somewhere in the ground) or it may be that the pump does not get enough flow having only one skimmer and a main drain to "feed" it.

so the easy answer is no. dont worry about it. as long as the pump doesnt loose prime and the G2 works rock on.

but your filter pressure is still reading under normal? is this normal for you or normal according to the last pool owner? have you backwashed the filter?

-alan
strings

Postby strings » Sun 01 Feb, 2009 20:33

So, I checked my pump this morning and its dropped back to its half filled state again :( but the suctions enough to still get the barracuda going.

Umm.. the gauge on my filter doesn't show numerically. Its only got a dial that points to low normal or high. So its reading just below normal.

No, I've never backwashed it, although I have thought about it. Do you mind writing a clear set of instructions on how to backwash my particular system.
I'll give you the specs.

- inground pool
- one skimmer box
- 2 return lines and a main drain

- 1 skimmer valve
- enduro pump (below water level I think because the water in the pump rises when i remove its lid)
- multiport valve sand filter connected to cholrinator and to the returns.

the multi port valve has filter, backwash, close, rinse, circulate, waste.

I'll still continue to try prime the pump until I can get it 100%

REALLY appreciate your feedback alan
lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby lonestar » Mon 02 Feb, 2009 10:37

First, identify your backwash line coming out of the multiport valve. Labeling everything with a marker will help you memorize it for the future. Your looking for the backwash line because you want to extend the hose or open any valves that may be on it. It may not have anything attached to it at all and just blow straight into the yard from where it sits but often there is a flexible blue hose or hard plumbed pvc pipe that leads out to the grass.

NOTE: Never move the filter valve with the pump on.

Backwashing a Sand Filter:

Step 1: Turn pump off. Extend backwash hose. Open any valves on backwash line.

Step 2: With pump off, turn filter valve to “backwash” setting.
Turn pump on. Run filter at least 1 minute until the water runs clear.

Step 3: Turn pump off. Turn filter valve to “rinse” setting.
Turn pump on. Run filter approx 1 minute until water runs clear.

Repeat steps 2 and 3. If filter is very dirty it may require 3 or more backwashings.

Step 4: Turn pump off. Turn filter valve to “filter” position. Turn pump on.
strings

around in circles

Postby strings » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 03:20

thanks for the instructions

I've just backwashed the system and my pump is going 100% with full water.

It seems that I cannot leave my pool without a day unmaintained, because another algal bloom looks very prominent. the old algea which I thought I had killed with a pretty large dose of cl has once again turned into a healthy green colour all because of a complacent day I had yesterday.

I think the pool cover I have is playing a large role in promoting the algal growth, because Ive read that a rise in water temperature with low water flow (as i only have one skimmer feeding the pump) can lead to these blooms.

But then, I bought the pool cover to catch the oily gum leaves that constantly fall into my pool. Its a constant battle with algae

O my pump is reading at around 10kpa - so i think with calculation its on 1.45psi.

So what do you think?
Pooljunkie

Postby Pooljunkie » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 22:56

I seem to be having a similar problem....

I have a zodiac pacer with very little suction. I have checked all hoses for leaks (even took the hoses out that I thought were a problem but that didn't help), backwashed twice, pulled apart the head and checked the diaphragm for cracks/holes, and I am now running out of options. The pressure guage is in the normal range without the pacer in, but once I attach it to the skimmer the guage drops to zero, although water is still pumping through the filter lid at normal pace. There aren't any air bubbles in the filter lid.

Apart from taking the whole thing to the pool shop, I thought I'd ask here if anyone had any ideas....I've read back through this topic and the only thing I haven't done is lubed the o'ring (considering there isn't any hardware shops open on a Sunday in my area it might have to wait until tomorrow).

Thanks in advance...
strings

Postby strings » Sun 08 Feb, 2009 03:15

Try use petroleum jelly. I used ordinary vaseline to lube the o ring and it worked. make sure you clean the lid and ring off any algae though. and dont tighten the lid too tight.

From what I read maybe its just the gauge that isnt working right. Your system sounds quite normal.

If its your zodiac that isnt moving due to low suction try insert the diaphragm in a different position. Rotate it so its in an irregular position one where it doesnt sit correctly. That often works with my g2.
fay987

Baracuda problems

Postby fay987 » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 18:53

This is the best pool forum site
clewis

Baracuda problems-cleaner problems

Postby clewis » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 09:49

HELP!- where is this impeller thing on the pool filter.. i have all new parts on my filter, pump, cleaners, laterals, etc. but my cleaners, whether manually or suction seem to work for about 2-3 minutes strong, then bogg down and stop. i can then backwash, or recirc, and they are strong as need be.. its only filter that causes a prob. - the "spider" thing at the top of my tank has been replaced with new parts also...
clewis138
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground 24- tagelus, dynamo

Baracuda problems

Postby clewis138 » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 09:54

HELP!- where is this impeller thing on the pool filter.. i have all new parts on my filter, pump, cleaners, laterals, etc. but my cleaners, whether manually or suction seem to work for about 2-3 minutes strong, then bogg down and stop. i can then backwash, or recirc, and they are strong as need be.. its only filter that causes a prob. - the "spider" thing at the top of my tank has been replaced with new parts also...

Baracuda problems

Postby Guest » Mon 31 May, 2010 16:01

My G4 Baracuda seems to be stuck in one spot. I've replaced the diaphram and it's still doing the same thing. I've cleaned the pump canisters and the pressure is fine. Just don't know what the problem is and how to fix it.
H E L P CJ
Tongy

Baracuda problems

Postby Tongy » Tue 19 Jul, 2011 01:30

I have a barracuda "G" which has recently stopped working, the pressure dial on the filter pump is zero and air in the inlet filter box (ie about half full of water).

I have gone through this forum topic and tried everything, a new diaphragm, checked all the hoses, even a new skirt disk (the old was pretty worn) but still the same problem.

when I run the filter without the baracuda attached everything works fine, the minute I attach the baracuda it stops working. I have even tried it with just one section of hose (everything is under water) and it works for about 10 - 15 seconds until the baracuda stops moving and the filter pressure goes to zero. I have tried using a house extension (keeping it in the water) without the baracuda attached and the filter suction works as it should.

Does this mean my head unit needs replacing or are there other things I can try?
OzPool

Start/stop Barracuda cleaner

Postby OzPool » Sat 24 Sep, 2011 02:23

mr_clean wrote:

[snip]
Is your baracuda climbing to high out of water and causing pump to loose prime? It comes with hose weight & when put on & adjusted will stop problem.
[snip]

Pool came with house and it all worked well for a while (last summer).
Owner showed me the basics and I've followed directions and it climbs the walls OK.

There are no holes in hose, but leaks a little air if you lift the hose out of water.
Filters clean and the flow is fast.
Salinator (and other visible flow points) are always full of water so I suspect no significant air leaks.

I am a newbie and get the local folks to test water etc.
Yes I do buy their chemicals to keep them in biz - that's only fair.

Any help appreciated - even the most basic as I might not have some key knowledge:)

:crazy:
nanna

Baracuda problems

Postby nanna » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 04:08

fay987 wrote:This is the best pool forum site

Can anybody help with the air flow valve of the zodiac G2. Why does the cleaner not start when the pump comes on? If I put my hand in the skimmer box and block the opening in the air flow valve, the cleaner jumps into action. However, after a minute or two the cleaner stops again. It seems the flap of the air flow valve is continally open. Should this not be opening and closing? Any help would be appreciated.
Nataliem60

Baracuda problems

Postby Nataliem60 » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 16:44

Thank you SO MUCH for all the postings in this forum. I was able to get my baracuda running again based on all the great answers! (I found a blockage at the diaphragm and I properly primed the air out.) :D

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”