COVERSTAR pool cover

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
sln

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby sln » Mon 06 Jul, 2009 18:40

The cover system is very good and it is now supplied with improved and stronger ropes.
The problem here in the Indianapolis is the installers, poor and slow service.

Frustrated in Fishers

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Frustrated in Fishers » Tue 07 Jul, 2009 17:53

I guess I need to add my 2 cents worth when it come to the local Coverstar rep for the Indianapolis area. About a year after we had our pool installed I started seeing seperation of the cover at the "welded" seams that run from side to side the width of the pool. I called to ask about the warranty and was told that I would need to supply them with a credit card number to schedule any type of service call. That should have been my first signal of who these people are.

I got my appointment scheduled and the service tech did acknowledge that it appeared that it was a problem with the cover and also told me that the manufacture did have some problems with a "batch" of covers. He did his little service report and left. Within a few days I was contacted by Coverstar in Indianapolis to tell me that they would be able to do a pro-rated replacement of my cover for just a little over $1900. I certainly challanged this price and asked for the name of the factory representative so I could speak with him directly about my cover. The CS person that I was talking to said she did not know who that was but she would get back to me. The next day a manager at Coverstar Indy called me to talk about my cover and why I needed to talk to the rep. I told him that the price they wanted to do a prorated warranty replacement was way out of line and I wanted to talk directly to the factory rep to express my concerns. The mananger then ask me what I was expecting. Without hesitating I told him I expected it to be replaced NO CHARGE. Long story short now..... after a long debate I got the manger to cut the replacement cost in half. He never did devulge the name of the Factory Rep. I am convinced that they were able to get the cover as a no charge warranty replacement and were trying to maximize their profits.
Frustrated in Fishers

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Frustrated in Fishers » Tue 07 Jul, 2009 18:03

I have a few more examples of dealing with the people at the Indianapolis Coverstar service center. Last year I had a rope break on the cover that was replaced under warranty. I called to see if the rope was under warranty. Of course it wasn't. They replaced the rope charged me for the service and wanted to also bill me for a trip charge of $60.00. My home is no more that 10 minutes for Coverstar's office so you can imagine my response to this charge. After again talking to the manager he agreed to wave the service charge and told me that it was a mistake. He said they only charged a trip charge for calls over 50 miles. I just wonder how many "mistakes" they make daily that are in their favor?

Last week the rope broke that they replaced last week. Do you think it's covered under warranty? NOT A CHANCE !!!

MY advise is to find someone else to service your pool cover in the Central Indiana Area.

I would like to know the name of the service person that someone else from the Indianapolis area talked about in a previous post here. I need to replace the rope on the motor side of my pool cover.

Feel free to email me at: MT61938@hotmail.com
bcgreene1

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby bcgreene1 » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 00:51

OK Pool Buddies....Thanks for all your replies to my COVERSTAR pool cover rope problem. I finanlly located a manufacturer of the type of the rope used on the automatic cover and it is stronger than the ones that COVERSTAR uses. I have it on order. Also, I have made some tabs. As soon as the rope gets here, I am going to sew the tabs on the ropes and install it. I will keep you informed. As you know, your pool will open without the ropes. So I have tied a rope to the metal tube and put the switch in free wheeling and you can close the pool by manually pulling the rope. I know this works with my 31X16 pool. This will give you a temporary fix. And the H*** with COVERSTAR !!!
tadilllac
I'm new here
I'm new here

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby tadilllac » Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:39

bcgreene1 wrote:I finanlly located a manufacturer of the type of the rope used on the automatic cover and it is stronger...

Aaaarrrg! The rope on my coverstar just broke this morning and the pool/cover is less than two years old! BCGREENE, who's the manufacturer of the rope you chose? Can you post pics of your repair?
awd

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby awd » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 13:14

The first thing to always check is the breaker and or the GFI that provides power.
Illinois
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Barrington Pool, inground

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Illinois » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 13:43

I need to purchase a set of plastic glides/slides that mount the pull rail. Does anyone know of a online source for Coverstar parts? Thanks Alex
poolcovers

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby poolcovers » Sat 08 Aug, 2009 08:57

If you're in the central indiana area, try calling Automatic Pool Covers, Inc. 317-579-2000.
We have been servicing and installing automatic covers since 1978, and since 2003, we have been manufacturing them as well.
We work with the most honest reliable pool builders in any given market, or we fire them.
We're not perfect, but we sure strive to be.
spaul100

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby spaul100 » Fri 14 Aug, 2009 17:52

My daughter had her Aquamatic rope break. It's clothesline rope, dacron braid. I'm a sailor and can't believe we aren't using a couple of sailing rope fibers with low stretch and strength of steel. Even these "specialty ropes" aren't as expensive as the clothesline ropes from pool dealers. I'm investigating these lines now and how to sew it back into the cover. The cover by the way isn't made to b e repaired so I'm investigating a splice technique from the electrical world and sailing tricks. If anyone is interested I'll be glad to post back what I find.
If anyone on the forum has advise I'd appreciate it.
ylwiron

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby ylwiron » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 17:30

Does anyone know where to purchase a new motor for a Coverstar? Mine runs fine if it is not hooked up to a GFCI, but apparently since they never installed a drain.... the sealed motor has absorbed a trace amount of water tripping the GFCI. Coverstar want $1500 for new, and $900 for rebuilt!
helpinghand
I'm new here
I'm new here

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby helpinghand » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:59

There maybe another option. Depending on the age & design of your motor, you might be able to have it opened, dried out & resealed. It would need to be returned to the factory, so you would want to coordinate that at a convenient time for you. Please remember that operating anything electrical within 5' of your pool needs to be on a GFI for your safety. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
ylwiron wrote:Does anyone know where to purchase a new motor for a Coverstar? Mine runs fine if it is not hooked up to a GFCI, but apparently since they never installed a drain.... the sealed motor has absorbed a trace amount of water tripping the GFCI. Coverstar want $1500 for new, and $900 for rebuilt!
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby juno1996 » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 06:26

Hi, I'm the original poster for this Coverstar discussion topic and wanted to provide an update.

I received a communication this week from a Coverstar representative who appeared to be genuinely disappointed to hear about the problem with my cover.

Although I still think the repair work should have been fully handled under the warranty, I was impressed that they were willing to modify the repair bill and offer some add'l help should something go wrong in the short-term future.

So, I'm glad I posted the issue on the forum and I am glad Coverstar is willing to try to make things right.
dudsy

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby dudsy » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 21:29

let me tell you about my cover star cover. Replaced the ropes 5 times in 3 years. I call and the asshole rep told me that it was rodents or that the pulleys were off. Wanted me to measure tolerances in the channels.

I said that is not something that I think the custumer should have to do exspecially when the expence is so great. His reponse to me was "do you call the manufacture of your air conditioner when it breaks."

Long story short I would not recommend cover star to lick the sweat from my B@@@s

I think we should all get together and file class action law suit.

:x
rlmarcotte

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby rlmarcotte » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 17:29

Just got the bad news one of the ropes is about to fail and recommendation to replace both at the outragious price of $400 each installed. Any update on alternatives to upgrading rope quality/sourcing alternative to coverstar rope rip-off?
Incredulous

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Incredulous » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 20:21

I am in California and Poolsafe installed and serviced our cover. Our ropes snapped at about at two years, and Poolsafe said that the ropes only last for two years. But, because it was at the 2-year mark, they didnt chare us for labor OR for the rope. Took the kid about two hours to replace. I tried to grab the packaging for the rope, but he had already cleaned up and was in the truck. the rope was in a printed commercial package. I will say that my experience with the product has been good, but the sales guy warned me that I would replace the ropes every two years.

My pup just chewed a hole in the cover and I need to repair it. any ideas?

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”