New Hayword Super Pump wiring question please help!!!

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
kansas1960
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground 26,000 gallons. New Hayward Super pump.

Postby kansas1960 » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 19:40

Just found this forum and thank God! Please help me solve my problem. It has been 3 weeks since I have filtered my pool water since my motor then pump went out and I finally bought a new one. I just installed it and started it up but it runs regular for about 5 seconds then slows down and the speeds up again then clicks and shuts down and then it repeats this process. I had to "guess" how my wiring was supposed to be set up. There was a warning about 230 volt verses 115 volt and I was supposed to move this thing over if was 115volt. I do not know what volt I have. The pump says it is prewired for 230. I left it the way it was and put the green wire to L2 and the yellow to the other and the smaller green as the ground. I also put the existing copper ground wire to the outside of the motor. Do I have this wired incorrectly? Please help me I need to get this going tonight , my water is getting real bad!
Thanks

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 04:42

kansas1960 wrote:Just found this forum and thank God! Please help me solve my problem. It has been 3 weeks since I have filtered my pool water since my motor then pump went out and I finally bought a new one. I just installed it and started it up but it runs regular for about 5 seconds then slows down and the speeds up again then clicks and shuts down and then it repeats this process. I had to "guess" how my wiring was supposed to be set up. There was a warning about 230 volt verses 115 volt and I was supposed to move this thing over if was 115volt. I do not know what volt I have. The pump says it is prewired for 230. I left it the way it was and put the green wire to L2 and the yellow to the other and the smaller green as the ground. I also put the existing copper ground wire to the outside of the motor. Do I have this wired incorrectly? Please help me I need to get this going tonight , my water is getting real bad!
Thanks

Hi,

Does the wiring come directly from the time clock to the motor? If so, look inside the clock to see how the wiring is set up. Normal set up for 115 volt would have a black wire or red (hot) and a white wire (neutral). You should be able to see if you have two hot wires coming to the clock or not.

If you have 115 coming to the clock then you need to make the changes at the motor to run at that voltage. A picture of the time clock with wires showing would tell me what voltage you have.
kansas1960
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground 26,000 gallons. New Hayward Super pump.

Postby kansas1960 » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 17:12

Thanks for your reply. I figured out I have 115 so I changed the setting and the motor is working fine. Now my problem is a bad air leak. I cannot figure out where it is coming from. What can I look for to help find clues?
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 23:02

kansas1960 wrote:Thanks for your reply. I figured out I have 115 so I changed the setting and the motor is working fine. Now my problem is a bad air leak. I cannot figure out where it is coming from. What can I look for to help find clues?

Explain a bit more about the air leak. Losing prime in pump? Air coming back to pool through return lines?

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”