High Pressure DE

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
elf

High Pressure DE

Postby elf » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 16:59

starting your pool conditioner level out at 50-60ppm is not BS when a pool is green and full of bacteria and has a conditioner level of 0. High levels of bacteria can lower the CYA level so going on the high side is no big deal. Another reason is alot of people only use unstabalized liquide chlorine and will loose CYA from splash-out/carry-out from pool being used alot. Is 4 ideal? Yes but if the people have kids and the pool is getting pounded on a dailey basis the way I have seen, how long do you think the level of 4 is going to last?

Also if you have just cleaned your filter and the pressure has gone up you can backwash 1-2 times before having to take apart and clean your filter again. I have done this to many pools before when going to a green pool no one wanted to take care of until it was time to swim again.

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

High Pressure DE

Postby czechmate » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 18:31

I see nowhere statement that CYA was 0. Even at that, CYA of 35 will sustain the shock function of 9 pound of calcium hypo of 65% to do it's job before sun will diminish its potency. Further, if your assumption is wrong and than you need to lower CYA of 60 to acceptable 40 in a 20000 gal average pool, you need to dump 33% of pool water. That is almost 7000 gallon of water, Mr. Elf. BTW, that water may have had Boric acid that cost you pretty penny already.
Forget the splashing, you do not have 3 years and all neighborhood kids to do it, when you need it NOW. Otherwise you would have to maintain FC of close to 7 which is unnecessary, costly and unhealthy to say the least. I am deeply sorry, that I may have insulted your "pool man" ego, Sir, but we should not so easily throw numbers around to a layman pool owners.
elf

High Pressure DE

Postby elf » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 21:52

and how many green pools have you come in contact with in your day that have any CYA in them?
in fact how many pools have you taken care of other than your own pool?

It's great that you watch over your pool and keep it up to snuff good for you.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

High Pressure DE

Postby czechmate » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 23:05

Cyanuric acid presence, even at the rate of 60 ppm in the pool, does not prevent pool water from algae formation. That is a fact. If it did, we would not have a need for chlorine. I was under the wrong impression that you know a basic pool chemistry.
To answer your pointed question: Yes I had a CYA 60 prior to my re-plaster and pool was nicely green colored with a happy algae.
This forum is designed to help, not to argue.
I will let Richard explain you this phenomenon if he will feel right to do so.
elf

High Pressure DE

Postby elf » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 23:29

Yes go get chemgeek and have him come explain the secret formula to keeping pools from algae as you are the one getting mad old man. Wow you come in talkin trash because the formula says so but could by chance pools could be algae free with a CYA of 60ppm. the answer is yes!

even if chemgeek does not think so I could careless.

and please do explain how a level of 7ppm of chlorine with CYA of 60ppm is dangerous?
hell I have tested tap water that reads 3ppm.

are we off topic yes but has this been fun yes or should I say yes sir?
elf

High Pressure DE

Postby elf » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 23:35

are you sending a private message to chemgeek yet? The bat phone will be ringing shortly.
elf

High Pressure DE

Postby elf » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 23:40

I will let Richard explain you this phenomenon if he will feel right to do so.

your so butt-hurt it's funny
elf

High Pressure DE

Postby elf » Thu 06 Aug, 2009 08:26

I am the best little pool man under sun!
I know everything there is to know about CYA.
I will be 18 in the fall an I have been doing this for as long as I can remember.
czechmated

High Pressure DE

Postby czechmated » Thu 06 Aug, 2009 19:17

I'm a bitter old retired man who takes care of his own "once algae filled" pool and have now learned how to take care of it with out getting algae. So if you need any help at all please feel free to message me with anything related to a pool in the future.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

High Pressure DE

Postby Me... » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 12:09

If I was dealing with an Algae filled Pool I could care less about CYA as long as there wasn't much in the pool. In fact less is better until the algae is gone and you can start to try and balance the water properly.

CYA is to protect the chlorine from the sun. O ya, Salt guys like to add it even to indoor pools to help stop the salt system from eating the pool because these set and forget systems like to build chloramines and then of course have to overproduce chlorine to compensate which of course is pumping way more electricity into the water and way more acid. Of course you don't actually read a lot more free chlorine in the pool because it gets wasted trying unsuccessfully to eliminate the combineds. The CYA in the water will help to tame the often very high levels of chlorine in the water.

My theory tho, and I'm sticking to it LOL

Ok you 2, carry on!
Wolf

High Pressure DE

Postby Wolf » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 17:01

To back up Czechmate, I had a serious Algae issue in my pool, got it tested and results showed my CYA at 100 and my FC at 0. So CYA does nothing but keep Chlorine in the pool longer. also, I am having the same issue with my filter getting high pressure after a short run period. I guess I will just have to keep taking the grid out and spraying that sh!t out. or run it with it out to test that.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

High Pressure DE

Postby czechmate » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 08:54

Pool chemistry is not a rocket science, but it is still part of a chemistry science. So until you fully understand it, oversimplifying the individual roles of a pool chemical will cost you money. Sometimes it can be a great deal of money. That is why understanding what major chemicals keep your CSI in acceptable levels is so important. PH,CH, FC,CYA play ALL very important role.
( Do not underestimate the role of water temperature either. What is OK in the winter, may become dangerous in the summer).
Look it up in POOL CALCULATOR website and learn it. As it will slowly become a routine, it will become much easier to maintain not only your water, but give you a piece of mind in preserving your investment.
pete vanderhoof

High Pressure DE

Postby pete vanderhoof » Sat 01 Jun, 2013 11:20

What if you remove the filter and use skimmer socks to catch and filter at the skimmer. It seems as this may be a faster solution to the issue (rather than back washing so frequently and loosing water and filling).
Any comments would be welcomed. Thanks.
Vic

High Pressure DE

Postby Vic » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 13:33

I continue to have the same high pressure issue. I have followed all the above steps including taking out the filter elements and cleaning them. This is the first time this year with this particular issue.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”