polaris vacuum??

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
fhorta

polaris vacuum??

Postby fhorta » Fri 05 Feb, 2010 14:05

any opinions on polaris vacuums. considering getting one for $240 to $299. i'm new to inground pools. it's plaster and about 16,000 gallons. or may any one have any recommendations on good reliable vaccuums. thanks in advance

fhorta

polaris vacuum??

Postby fhorta » Fri 05 Feb, 2010 14:29

by the way. this polaris is a atv model. not the newer 360 model. thanks again.
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

polaris vacuum??

Postby Pool Clown » Fri 05 Feb, 2010 16:15

The problem with that model and any other that "runs" on vacuum, is that they are only as good as the suction that the filter pump is providing. As the filter gets dirty, the suction decreases and the vacuum cleaner is subject to reduced performance. I suggest that if you have plumbing for it already in place, to get a pressure side cleaner.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
fhorta

polaris vacuum??

Postby fhorta » Sat 06 Feb, 2010 00:01

thanks. makes sense. how do i know if i have the plumbing for it, and what is a pressure side cleaner? very new at this. thanks again.
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

polaris vacuum??

Postby Pool Clown » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 23:25

You may have a pipe stubbed up at the equipment that is not hooked up, or is capped, along with a threaded return in the pool about midway between the deep and shallow ends.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
Guru
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

polaris vacuum??

Postby Guru » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 15:41

Pool Clown wrote:The problem with that model and any other that "runs" on vacuum, is that they are only as good as the suction that the filter pump is providing. As the filter gets dirty, the suction decreases and the vacuum cleaner is subject to reduced performance. I suggest that if you have plumbing for it already in place, to get a pressure side cleaner.

There's more to it than that, I'm afraid. The biggest con of a pressure-side cleaner is that it relies on it's own filtration, which isn't nearly as effective as a suction-side cleaner which uses the main pool filter for filtration. In my opinion, a suction cleaner is the best option. Most dedicated pressure-side cleaner lines are tee'd off of the main pump, before the filter. This means that any water going to the cleaner is not filtered, therefor you are not filtering all the water the pump is pulling.
"Well I don't have a brain. All it does is get in the way of my cat-like instincts." -m.s.
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

polaris vacuum??

Postby Pool Clown » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 00:56

The pressure side cleaner that i am recommending is the type that has its own pump and does not take unfiltered water from the system. The water is fed to the booster pump after the filter and heater. Yes, it is another pump, but it does a better job than a suction side cleaner, (my experience). This cleaner also does not rely on a clean filter like the vacuum side units, to function at its best.
Guru
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

polaris vacuum??

Postby Guru » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 15:16

Pool Clown wrote:The pressure side cleaner that i am recommending is the type that has its own pump and does not take unfiltered water from the system. The water is fed to the booster pump after the filter and heater. Yes, it is another pump, but it does a better job than a suction side cleaner, (my experience). This cleaner also does not rely on a clean filter like the vacuum side units, to function at its best.

Absolutely, but he didn't mention a dedicated line. I've had great success with Polaris boosted cleaners but simple = reliable. I'd definitely recommend a suction-side cleaner over the cost of adding a ded. line, pump and cleaner.
"Well I don't have a brain. All it does is get in the way of my cat-like instincts." -m.s.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”