Basic Skimmer Question

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
SC Angler
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Fiberglass, in-ground "Grand Buxton" by Hatteras
Hayward S220T filter

Basic Skimmer Question

Postby SC Angler » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 07:38

I'm replacing my skimmer in my fiberglass pool due to leak at the bottom of the skimmer. No fun cutting concrete!

My current skimmer is a Hayward SP-1084, I believe. I have 4 part numbers inside the lid because the lid fits 4 different models, but I think I've narrowed it down to the SP-1084. And of course, I can't find any paperwork when the pool was installed.

As I'm looking to order a new skimmer, I see the Hayward SP-1084 and a SP-1084OM - Outside Mount.
I'm not sure what "outside mount" means. I called Hayward and they were not much help at all; they told me to call the company that put it in. The pool company that installed it 11 years ago is currently closed I believe.

Any ideas what "outside mount" would mean? Does that mean the skimmer attaches to the outside (back side) of the pool. If so, I definitely do not want that. The current skimmer attaches to the inside of the pool (a couple of screws under the faceplate).

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Basic Skimmer Question

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 10:25

I would assume that an outside mount means it's mounted outside of the pool where it is now and fixed through the fibreglass shell with a plate to hold in place
Here's a link https://www.yourpoolhq.com/hayward-sp10 ... immer.html
Looking at the other options in that link they all look the same.
Before you purchase check with the supplier that it is what you need
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Basic Skimmer Question

Postby Teapot » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 10:33

Hi SC Angler, There are really only two types of mounting, one for concrete pools and the other for liner and boat pools like yours. The difference with the outside mount is it mounts through the wall of a fiberglass boat pool or panel/liner pool. The other hasn't a little additional moulding to screw to the back of the concrete.

When you break yours out you'll see if it has the additional moulding or not.
Sorry crossed post

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”