What to do: Prior owner filled main drain with concrete due to leaking pipe

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
MitchXToledo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Indoor pool.
Gunite.
10m long
5m wide
3m deep
One skimmer.
Two returns.
Main drain sealed with concrete by previous owner.
More details to come.

What to do: Prior owner filled main drain with concrete due to leaking pipe

Postby MitchXToledo » Sun 05 Dec, 2021 14:50

I have some experience in the pool industry mostly relating to maintenance but I also did a lot of work on plumbing.

The previous owner told me that at one point the main drain plumbing was leaking, and instead of digging all the way under the pool he chose to bury the drain in concrete. I want to be able to use the pool year-round, so I want it to be as painless as possible to maintain. Right now all circulation runs through a single skimmer and two returns that I doubt will be able to provide adequate circulation to make it painless. I put more details in my profile and will get any other info that is necessary. The first issue I want to tackle is getting a main drain.

The pool is indoor, but I do not think that makes much of a difference since it is still buried in the ground like any other in-ground pool.

I have two ideas so far:

1. Drain the pool and cut two new lanes in the floor for the main drains (two is state code). Seems like a pain to go this route, but I am willing to do it for the long run. Digging up the old main drain seems like a huge waste of time since I would then have to figure out where the leak was. My best guess is the plumbing was done ages ago and the pipe was not set in concrete, which is why it broke.

2. Fabricate something that sits firmly at the bottom of the pool outside the surface that can recreate the circulation provided by a main drain. The piping would be exposed and the "main drain" would be a box sitting at the bottom of the pool. I do not know if I could accomplish this with a durable hose that runs from the bottom of the pool to the intake line due to the pressure needed.

Any help, ideas, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: What to do: Prior owner filled main drain with concrete due to leaking pipe

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 03:17

Hi Mitch, cant see your profile on my mobile/cell so excuse meif I have missed something.
With only 2 returns adding a main drain or additional skimmer would be pretty pointless. Not sure of the size of your pool? Main drains do very little, dirt enters from above so thats the best place to remove it. If it were me I would increase the number of returns and add another skimmer.
I have an outdoor pool and no main drain but the water quality is as good as it gets. It is a lot of work to do what you are thinking but for very little gain.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
MitchXToledo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Indoor pool.
Gunite.
10m long
5m wide
3m deep
One skimmer.
Two returns.
Main drain sealed with concrete by previous owner.
More details to come.

Postby MitchXToledo » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 09:03

Hey Teapot, thanks for the response.
I agree, it's a lot of work but I thought it would drastically improve the circulation. I did plan on adding more returns and another skimmer, so maybe I should start with that and see how things go from there.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 08:02

That's what I would do.
Built pools with both MD's and not, never noticed any difference in care needed for either and there is always the leak issue if it fails. Those owners that have requested MD's I plumb them on a valve that means most of the time they are reversed and used as inlets which works well for heating the pool as you get less stratification and warmer lower so a bit less evaporation off the top but not that relevant to an indoor pool.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”