suction in skimmer not as strong

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
tisch

suction in skimmer not as strong

Postby tisch » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 11:56

I noticed that the water was not swirling in skimmer. I removed the basket and, while there was some suction, it just wasn't pulling the debris in. Any suggestions?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: suction in skimmer not as strong

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 04:35

Do you have a main drain?, try shutting that down if you do
You may be sucking air in elsewhere
Does the pump strainer basket have air in it when running? the "O" ring may need lubricating with silicon grease or Vaseline
ujustswim
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: RE: suction in skimmer not as strong

Postby ujustswim » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 17:17

Anonymous wrote:I noticed that the water was not swirling in skimmer. I removed the basket and, while there was some suction, it just wasn't pulling the debris in. Any suggestions?

High pressure is a problem after the pump low pressure is a problem with the pump , or before in the pump. You can check for suction leaks by
Low putting shaving cream around any possible place air could be coming in, concluding pump housing wet end
Could be a clogged impeller
Clogged or collapsed suction line, misplaced Valves. What's the number of other things it could be really to simplify I would like to just ask what is your filter pressure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
ujustswim
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: RE: Re: RE: suction in skimmer not as strong

Postby ujustswim » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 17:22

ujustswim wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I noticed that the water was not swirling in skimmer. I removed the basket and, while there was some suction, it just wasn't pulling the debris in. Any suggestions?

High pressure is a problem after the pump low pressure is a problem with the pump , or before in the pump. You can check for suction leaks by
Low putting shaving cream around any possible place air could be coming in, concluding pump housing wet end
Could be a clogged impeller
Clogged or collapsed suction line, misplaced Valves. What's the number of other things it could be really to simplify I would like to just ask what is your filter pressure.

Where is the water level on your skimmer face plate?

ttwymr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ttwymr » Sat 01 Jul, 2017 18:03

Hello new to this forum. I was vacumming my pool and use the hard black PVC skrew caps to plug the opisite skimmer line to gain better suction. I was too anxious to find the right size and went to screw on the cap. The cap i reached down with was smaller and the suction sucked the smaller cap into my return line. These are the black hard screw caps with the square on top to tighten and unloosen. I feel some suction be not enough to help skim the surface. Any ideas on how to get that cap out of the line. Thanks!!!
TTWYMR
Reno, NV
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 04:11

The only way that I can think of is blow it back with some form of pressure
You would have to disconnect or cut the line that is blocked to make a suitable connection

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”