Help! Vacuum Hose Stuck!

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
mattheltzel

Help! Vacuum Hose Stuck!

Postby mattheltzel » Sat 05 Nov, 2016 20:38

Hi all,

To start, I'm a little new with pools so I know I messed this up... but I didn't know any better at the time.

I used an Intex plastic hose to attach to my vacuum that's too small in diameter for my skimmer piping (or it's the right size and just doesn't have the connector piece on the end to prevent what I'm about to describe... I think the hose/vacuum are designed specifically to fit an Intex above ground pool hookup, but again, I didn't know this.

I put my vacuum hose in the skimmer and turned the pump on, and I noticed it sucked it down pretty aggressively but figured that was the strength of the pump. I vacuumed just fine for 20 minutes and it worked great, then I turned the pump off and when I tried to pull the hose out, it's stuck. I mean REALLY stuck. I have tried pulling with every ounce I have, to no avail.

I don't think the hose went super far, because this was the second time I had vacuumed and it seemed like it reached the same amount as before (the first time I vacuumed I got the hose out with a little tug).

The last and maybe most complicated part of this is that the skimmer inlet is like 5' beneath the concrete... so I can't even get my arm within a foot of the actually hole in the skimmer because it's too far to reach. I've been a lifeguard years ago and never seen anything like that.

Sorry for the length on this, any help would be appreciated. In my attempts to get this out, it seems like I may have bent or distorted the hose such that it doesn't seem to suck quite as well anymore (I considered just cutting the thing off if it was going to just be the same shape as the piping but now I might be past that point).

Suggestions? Any ideas on how to grip that further in and tug it out? I'm at a loss here. I can't imagine how on earth this could be this stuck, but it is VERY VERY stuck.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Help! Vacuum Hose Stuck!

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 06 Nov, 2016 05:27

Hi
I don't have a lot of knowledge of Intex parts but will try to help.
When trying to pull the hose out is the pump off because the suction could be holding it in place?
Have you tried twisting as you pull?.
I don't understand the fact the skimmer inlet is 5 feet underground are you saying the suction pipe was sucked through the skimmer and into the pipework. In that case it may have got jammed in a bend virtually blocking the hose and restricting the flow through the skimmer.
Images may help us to understand what is happening.
ujustswim
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: RE: Help! Vacuum Hose Stuck!

Postby ujustswim » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 16:28

Anonymous wrote:Hi all,

To start, I'm a little new with pools so I know I messed this up... but I didn't know any better at the time.

I used an Intex plastic hose to attach to my vacuum that's too small in diameter for my skimmer piping (or it's the right size and just doesn't have the connector piece on the end to prevent what I'm about to describe... I think the hose/vacuum are designed specifically to fit an Intex above ground pool hookup, but again, I didn't know this.

I put my vacuum hose in the skimmer and turned the pump on, and I noticed it sucked it down pretty aggressively but figured that was the strength of the pump. I vacuumed just fine for 20 minutes and it worked great, then I turned the pump off and when I tried to pull the hose out, it's stuck. I mean REALLY stuck. I have tried pulling with every ounce I have, to no avail.

I don't think the hose went super far, because this was the second time I had vacuumed and it seemed like it reached the same amount as before (the first time I vacuumed I got the hose out with a little tug).

The last and maybe most complicated part of this is that the skimmer inlet is like 5' beneath the concrete... so I can't even get my arm within a foot of the actually hole in the skimmer because it's too far to reach. I've been a lifeguard years ago and never seen anything like that.

Sorry for the length on this, any help would be appreciated. In my attempts to get this out, it seems like I may have bent or distorted the hose such that it doesn't seem to suck quite as well anymore (I considered just cutting the thing off if it was going to just be the same shape as the piping but now I might be past that point).

Suggestions? Any ideas on how to grip that further in and tug it out? I'm at a loss here. I can't imagine how on earth this could be this stuck, but it is VERY VERY stuck.

Twist the hose.. I would think that if you keep turning the hose it will eventually come loose or uncoil. I believe this may be a more effective way than pulling or tugging.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”