Skimmer cover help

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
all4him
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Skimmer cover help

Postby all4him » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 10:38

My pool is going into its second year. My skimmers (2) have a clear plastic cover that has tabs on it that fit into a slot and then turns in a groove on the skimmer. Both covers have a rubber gasket on the edge of them.

When I try to remove the cover they are very hard to turn and line up with the slots to remove. I put a lubricant on the rubber gaskets thinking this would help which it did until I tried to get them off to open the pool. I had to use a board and rubber mallot. After that experience I cleaned the lubricant off of the gaskets which helped a little, but they are still hard to turn.

My questions are this:

1. Since the covers fit into a slot on the skimmer will removing the gasket effect how the skimmer works?

2. If I cnnot remove the filters for operational reason then what can I do to make the skimmer covers turn easily when I am trying to remove them to empty the baskets?

Thanks for your time and assistance!!

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Skimmer cover help

Postby Backglass » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 14:05

all4him wrote:My pool is going into its second year. My skimmers (2) have a clear plastic cover that has tabs on it that fit into a slot and then turns in a groove on the skimmer. Both covers have a rubber gasket on the edge of them.

When I try to remove the cover they are very hard to turn and line up with the slots to remove. I put a lubricant on the rubber gaskets thinking this would help which it did until I tried to get them off to open the pool. I had to use a board and rubber mallot. After that experience I cleaned the lubricant off of the gaskets which helped a little, but they are still hard to turn.

My questions are this:

1. Since the covers fit into a slot on the skimmer will removing the gasket effect how the skimmer works?

2. If I cnnot remove the filters for operational reason then what can I do to make the skimmer covers turn easily when I am trying to remove them to empty the baskets?

Thanks for your time and assistance!!

I am assuming this is an above-ground pool?

If so, the only reason you have a cover on a skimmer at all is so that water doesn't splash out when somebody does a cannonball. Removing a lid gasket wont hurt the skimmers efficiency or anything, you just might get some water dripping out onto the ground.

But you speak of filters. You have filters in your skimmer?

What lubricant did you use? If it was made for pool use it shouldn't have made things harder to turn.
all4him
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby all4him » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:40

It is an inground pool. I mean't to say gasket not filter.

The lubricant was for pool use, it worked ok during the summer but made as I stated before it made things difficult after setting all winter.

Any suggestions?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 12:11

all4him wrote:It is an inground pool. I mean't to say gasket not filter.

The lubricant was for pool use, it worked ok during the summer but made as I stated before it made things difficult after setting all winter.

Any suggestions?

A gasketed skimmer lid is overkill on an in-ground pool in my opinion. What's the worst that could happen? You might get some water splashing out onto your pool deck right next to...the water dripping off the bathers. :lol:

It certainly wont hurt to remove the lid gasket and try it.
all4him
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby all4him » Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:51

This is not the cover at the deck level it is the clear cover with the hole in it within the skimmer. The one which has the 2 settings 1 for normal operation and one for vacumming.

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”