Please help me identify this old Skimmer!

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
GuilliHo
I'm new here
I'm new here

Please help me identify this old Skimmer!

Postby GuilliHo » Tue 07 May, 2019 14:29

Hi! The reason why I am trying to identify this skimmer is because currently, water is only being sucked from the skimmer. This is a very old pool and it came with the house and it has been driving me crazy since nothing I've tried has worked. I already tried a float valve but it didn't work because this skimmer doesn't have the groove for the o-ring and the float valve doesn't fit pretty well. I also tried the Hayward SP1082GV Skimmer Main Drain Valve and it doesn't fit either. Studying the skimmer closer, it seems that it has its own mechanism to do this, the skimmer has the marks for "Main Drain", "Both" or "Skim", there is also a small hole between the main drain's hole and the pump's suction hole. Also there are 2 little columns (I am sorry I don't know how to call those) that seem to be there to restrict the movement of something (maybe the basket?).
It's obvious that there is something missing here, but I just can't find anything online. I already went to leslie's pool with these pictures and showed them but they don't know anything about it.

I was hoping that maybe somebody in this forum would know about this type of skimmer and could should me what's missing.

Thank you very much for your help. I've attached some pictures and I added some notes to one of them.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Please help me identify this old Skimmer!

Postby Teapot » Wed 08 May, 2019 01:32

Can't help with the make but can explain how it works.
There is no O ring, hence no O ring groove.
The pegs are there to support the weight of a full skimmer basket, not seen in your photos, do you have one?
The writing at the bottom is for a plastic cover that can be used to obscure one or other or partially to balance the flow between two skimmers if fitted. The small hole between the two ports is for the screw that attaches it. You should be able to pick one up from a pool shop they are pretty universal. Obscuring the main drain port will give you a better surface skimming action as the dirt enters from the surface. Main drains do very little but I wouldn't completely block the main drain as bacteria could grow in the pipeline, better to have a little flow.
MonkeyMan
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: In ground

Postby MonkeyMan » Wed 22 Apr, 2020 14:51

I know this post is a little old but this information is usually slow coming.

I have the same skimmer and have been trying to figure out what it is. Frankly, it baffles me that large pool supply chains like Pinch-A-Penny and Leslie's don't put a little effort in and do the research then post the images and results on thier website. Too much trouble I guess. Let the customer do all the leg-work and then sell them over-priced "Made In China" crap. Oh well... Yet I digress...

Anyway, I have attached pics of my skimmer. I think that I have found it to be a PacFab (now Pentair) SKIMCLEAN.

=========================================================
GET PENTAIR CATALOG FROM PENTAIR WEBSITE INSTRUCTIONS:

Go to the Pentair website (http://www.pentair.com). Under the "Products" drop-down menu, select "Pool White Goods", go to the bottom of the page and click on "Pool Parts", then download a copy of the Full 2020 Catalog.

CATALOG PAGE\DESCRIPTION:

Go to page 598 of the catalog or search for SKIMCLEAN. There are a couple of tell-tale details in the graphic that has me pretty sure that my skimmer, which matches your skimmer, is a SKIMCLEAN model.

1) There is a line where the upper part of the rectangular port to the pool is made from a seperate piece and then assembled (with screws?). So there is a line of separation there.

2) There is tongue or spike that faces down to stop the Weir Door from opening too far.

OTHER LINKS:

Unfortunately, there is not a picture of the inside (anywhere on the web so far, yours and mine may be firsts!).

Also, here is another link that shows the skimmer (hopefully this forum allows links):
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501 ... tm#details

More link references:
https://www.intheswim.com/p/skim-clean
https://www.poolzoom.com/skim-clean-ski ... embly.html

SKIMMER LID (the clue)

Also, I have what I think is the original cover for my skimmer although it is broken. There is a part number on it of 51-3030 which matches the part number for the lid in the Pentair Full Catalog 2020. This part number is really what got me on the trail because I found replacement lids on Amazon using that part number. Some parts mentioned Pentair.

PORT SELECTION "EAR"

Also, you will see in the catalog that there is an "ear" that can cover any one of the ports. It is not available as a separate part number from the skimmer assembly from Pentair.

However, it is available here.
https://www.poolsinc.com/516228.html

Actually, the "ear" in the above link is for the Bermuda skimmer but it might work. Give Pentair customer service a call or just blow $14 and try it. My skimmer only uses one port the other is "capped' so no issue for me.

CAN'T ATTACH PHOTOS - USING DROPBOX

I don't see how to attach images to this forum. Some forums require a certain number of posts to turn that on. Maybe I just missed it. Anyway, I have too many photos to attach in one shot. So, I have provided a Dropbox link with the photos in it as well as the Pentair catalog.

At some point, I would like to attach the photos to follow-on posts so they stay with the forum as an atomic record. Otherwise, they will be lost from this post when I remove them from Dropbox at some point.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yjg2vcl08qgp ... Brswa?dl=0

CLOSING SIGN-OFF:

Look this info over. Hopefully it identifies your skimmer.

That's all for now,
Regards,
MM
MonkeyMan
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby MonkeyMan » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 09:52

I found a parts diagram of a PacFab specifially stating "before 1990". It shows that the Hayward Automatic Skimmer Vacuum Plate - W490R is compatable with the skimmer. However, this is for attaching a vacuum. I do not know if it serves the additional purpose of port selection. It seems that it might.

The site that shows the pre-1990 parts diagram:
http://www.inyopools.com/pool_parts_pac_fab_skim_clean.aspx

The page that shows the Hayward Automatic Skimmer Vacuum Plate - W490R
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02231193029262.htm

I just added a folder to my Dropbox link in the previous post that contains screen-shots of the website from top to bottom.

Regards,
MM

keywords: PacFab Pac-Fab Pac Fab ???
MonkeyMan
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby MonkeyMan » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 19:41

You know it occurred to me that some years ago, I figured this out. Actually, I half figured it out because I didn't connect it to the text embossed inside the skimmer.

It happened like this:
1) My drain does not connect to my skimmer. The skimmer and drain lines run right to the pump each with it's own valve.
2) I had the drain valve completely shut off to run the pool cleaner from the skimmer.
3) Not thinking about that, I removed the skimmer and put the basket back.
4) The water quit flowing and the pump started moaning.
5) I figured out that the basket had blocked the skimmer intake and that the raised side had to be over the port so water could flow.

Now, that happened with the "ORIGINAL OEM BASKET." I had a pivoting handle not the "straigh across stick" type handle that all of the aftermarket crap has. Go my Dropbox link in the previous post and look at the folder named "Pentair Skimclean sold on OfferUp 1997 (or so)". There you will see the picture of an ORIGINAL BASKET with the "swinging\pivoting" handle.

Fast-forward to the original question in this post. The bottom of the skimmer basket acts as a diverter valve! Depending on its rotation, it block one port or the other. In the middle, both ports are open. That is why the bottom of the thing is shaped so funky and NOT flat. Further, I think the two nibs\bumps\bosses in the bottom of the skimmer are either to center the basket and keep it tracking OR they fall inside the basket half-moon perimeter to act as rotation stops. I will have to take some measurements to verfiy.

Now, here is the kicker. I have an aftermarket basket now. It fits like crap. I cannot make it block the port like the ORIGINAL. It seems a little to short. Also, it wobbles arond on the ledge because it should be slightly larger in diameter. Just a cheap copy. No real engineering went into this clone copy-cat junk.

This is just my guess on all this. But, I think it is correct. I would really like to get a real OEM basket again to check it out. I don't think Pentair makes it anymore. If so, it is probably just one of the crappy clones and they resell it with their name on it. I called Pentair and spoke with Tech Support. They did NOT know anything about how the embossed text was used.

See the images here in my Dropbox folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ryzpdzuwd8wcboe/AAB95T2gR-JPHXoyBkzKSx8ta?dl=0
and here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yjg2vcl08qgphw6/AACMSaZdI3tjm1NM9bppBrswa?dl=0

Regards,
MM
ptm39
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ptm39 » Fri 01 May, 2020 13:57

MonkeyMan, do you have a vacuum plate that is compatible with your SKIMCLEAN model? Curious if you have information on vacuum plate parts other than the Hayward Automatic Skimmer Vacuum Plate that is compatible?
MonkeyMan
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby MonkeyMan » Sat 02 May, 2020 09:31

Hi ptm39,

I have scoured the web pretty hard and have not found any mention of a vacuum plate made for this skimmer. That said, the skimmer is old (and pre-Internet) so the information just may not be out there.

Re-read my post from Friday, April 24th. The post with the list in it numbered 1 through 5. I will summarize it here.

I am starting to believe that there NEVER was a vacuum plate for this skimmer. Could be wrong, but it seems that the basket itself acts as the vacuum plate. That is why the bottom of the basket has such a weird half-moon shape and stem on it. Rotate the basket, it covers a port, depending on the direction of rotation.

My skimmer is only plumbed for skimmer. I accidentally put my "original OEM PacFab basket" in incorrectly one time and it blocked that port. I had the drain shut-off so the pump started moaning.

Unfortunately, the Chinese knock-off baskets are not dimensionally accurate so this doesn't work correctly. Also, unfortunately for me, tossed my old "original" PacFab basket because, at the time, I didn't put 2-and-2 together. I wish I still had it just to compare dimensions.

The guy at our local Leslie's Pool Supply did look up a $40 basket (in the Admiral catalog?). This "might" be made from the original PacFab molds, not sure. The reason I say that, is that parts catalog from Pentair, who acquired PacFab years ago, shows a $40 basket.

Regards,
MM

P.S. If you click on the pictures that are embedded in the post, it will zoom them to actual size.

20200424_154104 (edit-resize).jpg

Pentair (PacFab) Skimclean skimmer basket.png
salesinmd
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 40x23 Fox Pool.

Postby salesinmd » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 15:23

So, I see your weird and raise you a weirder!

I was helping a cousin with a pool that came with their house. They seem to have a similar unit with 2 holes in the bottom. But in one of the holes is a pole that extends up to water level. Very Strange. No idea how to get a skimmer bucket for it.

However, your pentair basket is on amazon now. https://smile.amazon.com/Pentair-513036 ... 493&sr=8-3

I don't have a pic, but I will post it later.

Thanks,
MD
the_absolute_truth
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby the_absolute_truth » Fri 05 Feb, 2021 09:16

Sorry to necro this thread but this is the only thread I can find that relates to my issue. I just bought a house that has this exact type of skimmer. I purchased a basket for it of the same type in this thread. What confuses me is that when I have the basket handle oriented to the "skim" label, it opens the drain the closest to the pool. My understanding is that is the main drain. Why would the "skim" setting have the main drain open and the filter/pump hole closed?
akenis
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby akenis » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 14:08

Just bought house with this old guy!

Can't believe previous owners spent all the money to redo pebble tech and VS pump with Jandy SWG.... but left old skimmer!

Doesn't work well. Weir door is missing. Main drain port is plugged. Basket is Chinese 27180-043 with a hole in it, and doesn't fit snug.

Basket: since my main drain is blocked, want to get good fitting basket that won't accidentally block the good skimmer port. Wonder if there is a generic for Pentair 513036 that would fit snug, and disable the port blocking mechanism?

Door: Pentair 513027, but looks like it requires 2 nuts and 2 studs. The bottom part of the old door is still attached, but only one stud remains. Not sure if I should try and fix what's there, or go with a universal spring loaded door.... Something like this:

https://sunplay.com/collections/pool-sk ... 41-320-000
MonkeyMan
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby MonkeyMan » Mon 22 Mar, 2021 09:17

I don't know how you would secure the CMP Weir door to the Pac-Fab\Pentair skimmer.

It would be difficult to extract the broken off studs. It can be done with by using a right-angle drill and drill bit guides of some sort so as not do drift off and drill into the plastic. Then use a screw extractor. I didn't do this because I will probably have to fabricate the drill guides. I am capable of the fabrication. It is just not worth my time.

I replaced my Weir door on the Pac-Fab skimmer with the Pentair 513027. What I did is used two short stainless steel screws. I can't recall if I pre-drilled small pilot holes first with a right-angle drill, used self-drilling screws, or just a got a non-self-drilling screw to force its way through the plastic. It was probably a self-drilling, stainless steel, sheet metal screw the first time. I have replaced the Weir door twice.

As I found out, even with a short screw, there is no boss under the plastic except where the original studs are which makes sense. So, it does put a hole in your pool. That is, if you remove the sheet metal screws, the pool will slowly lose water. Once I figured this out, I put some silicone sealer on the screw threads before I screwed them in.

I should have realized that the plastic was that thin except for bosses under the old studs. That is just normal plastic mold design. If I had realized that first, I would have created the drill guide from a rectangular block of steel, drilled and removed the old studs. I had already gone the route of the short stainless steel screws so it's done. It's not worth my time to extract the studs now.

Another method would be to get crafty and make some sort of cam-lock or slider from PVC or plastic that could be glued to walls of the skimmer to bind the Weir door mounting plate down. However, that means figuring what kind of glue would stick to Pac-Fab skimmer plastic and then what kind of plastic to use for the cam or slide lock mechanism. It would be crafty but time-consuming as well.
akenis
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby akenis » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 12:50

The port to my main drain was full of concrete. Took cover off main drain and it was a mess.... full of silt and sand. Put a drain king in to see where it ended up. Could feel a little bit of water coming through the blocked port in skimmer. Not sure if it was blocked off intentionally or left over from the remodel. Guy at my pool store says it happens all the time... and to get the concrete out. So I chunked it all away and it went back down the pipe. Put the new stock basket in, rotated to the full left and it started sucking out all the concrete. Then put a leaf over by the main drain and watched it get sucked up. So happy to have the drain back. Better flow and old set up was dangerous...if water level dropped below skimmer inlet everything would run dry.

I thought the aftermarket spring loaded doors were kind of universal.... kind of like a shower curtain rod.... tension keeps it in place? My hardware guy said it probably wouldn't stay in place. So will get stock door and figure out how to replace old studs. Maybe it will stay put with the one stud that is still there and securely holding the old hinge in place. My pool guy also suggested your idea of moving the plate fore/aft and using screws. Then he said use marine adhesive....it would be permanent.

After the door, only thing missing will be the trim plate. Seems kind of redundant with the basket?
hiyaxtylah
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I don't own a pool, currently. I have been working in the industry my whole life (I am 30 at the time of writing this, 07/18/23) so I can possibly help with any questions!

Postby hiyaxtylah » Tue 18 Jul, 2023 22:40

Hey I know this is an extremely late replay, but I wanted to point out that the disk that is used in the bottom of the old school system sets ups are called " throttle plates" it is used in the same way a 2-3way valve is used. (Back then they didn't use ball valves for whatever reason and so they would install that instead, installers toss those out now-a-days) also, one port in the bottom of the skimmer is 2" the other is 1½", depending on which one the builder decided to use(typically based off the equipment porta, if they have 1½, they would plumb 1½" PVC and so on) old pools that have both ports opened, probably have the drain or second skimmer plumbed into the secondary port, to then just have one line running to the pump. It doesn't matter if they put the drain in front or back port(I could be incorrect on that bc they didn't use them in that way when I really started focusing on this career choice)

The main reason I created this account was to reply with the info of, if you haven't discovered it yet or 3D printed one, a company that will make custom skimmer baskets out of plastic, stainless steel mesh or powder coated metal. (all acceptable to use in a swimming pool skimmer, it just won't last as long if it's metal and you have a SWG)

The company is, Aladdin. They make shaft seals and baskets and o rings.

If you go-to their website you can fill out a form with the measurements of your skimmer bucket, where the basket sets, and your choice of material, and for a price they determine after putting your measurements into this program, they will just make you a basket! Whatever shape or size!

Aladdin1950.com

I used it for one of my customers with an aboveground pool, her skimmer basket is constantly breaking, ag skimmers have really small baskets (except for the Hayward one fortunately, plus I think the inground pump she installed may be too strong, breaking her basket from the force)

Btw, this is not an advertisement for Aladdin, I just thought it would be helpful if your skimmer had been discontinued (super common in this industry, either closes down, or another company eats them up. Example: FLUIDRA, took over jandy, zodiac, astral and I believe a few others.)

I've personally never seen this skimmer, but I have seen that basket in one of the replies. The one with the spike on one side and the three sections on the other side. It makes the most sense for that to be the basket that goes in that skimmer, bc of the two pillars/spikes or whatever you want to call them in the bottom.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone from the last or anyone in the future.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 19 Jul, 2023 10:04

Well done for trying to help others, very much appreciated. Yes Fluidra have taken over so many companies.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”