Inground pool light housing

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
erjdriver
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground pool 40x20

Inground pool light housing

Postby erjdriver » Wed 21 Sep, 2022 19:18

Have an inground pool with a pentair light.

Recently discovered a leak with the light being the source.

I took out the light and there's a housing and a cable from the back of the housing to the light.

When the light is installed is the area between the light and the housing supposed to be free of water or not. I think it would be difficult to keep it water proof because the pentair light outer ring has several small holes - exposing the pool water straight into the housing.

I'm guessing water back there is ok.

So trying to figure out the leak source - the only thing I found was that the cable that goes to the back of the housing - there's about 3/4 inch circular cutout that the cable goes thru - but there's no ring or gasket or anything - it's just soil. I'm guessing that's where the water is leaking out.

Is there a gasket or something back there to make it waterproof.

Thanks for responses.

p.s. by "housing" I mean the metallic bucket like thing that's installed into the side of the wall of the pool. The lighting has it's own housing and goes inside the previously explained bucket - attached with a single screw. The "water" I'm referring to is inside the bucket - between itself and the light housing.

p.s. I think eventually I will have to replace the whole light. but would the entire cord have to be replaced also - how would that be done. Right now about 50 ft to the power switch.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Inground pool light housing

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 22 Sep, 2022 11:37

Yes there is normally a cable gland thats supposed to prevent leakage but is always the first place I look for a leak.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
erjdriver
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby erjdriver » Thu 22 Sep, 2022 16:54

The housing is a HAYWARD SP0607.

Would you happen to know the gland I'm supposed to get.

I see a hole with a thread there but no gland - so most probably the issue.
erjdriver
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby erjdriver » Thu 22 Sep, 2022 17:20

There is no gland and i think it's too late because the cable is already in place - right?

Quick question - the problem i'm having is that the light fixture is not sitting flush with the niche housing - so water is getting in. Is there a gasket I'm supposed to be installing between the two.

Thanks again.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 23 Sep, 2022 02:38

Searching Google for HAYWARD SP0607 I found this. Hope it helps
https://hayward-pool-assets.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/DuraNiche-SP060xU.pdf

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”