Replacing a Main Drain Cover

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
tmjst

Postby tmjst » Tue 02 May, 2006 08:53

Hello,

I moved into a house with a 16yo swimming pool. The main drain cover is missing.

I suspect that the maintenance company removed it to replace it with one that conforms to the new safety rules, but couldn't find one to fit. A neighbor says that he thinks they lost the original cover.

The flange on the bottom of the pool is about 6 3/4" OD, about 6" ID. It has two slots about 3/8" long that look like they should secure the drain cover. They are more or less rectangular, except that the short sides of the rectangle are rounded instead of straight. The center-to-center spacing is about 6.5" between the slots. (Measurements are approximate, because it's hard to use a ruler while trying to stay submerged!)

A standard drain cover with 6" hole spacing does not fit - there are no screw holes in the flange.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed? Is there an adapter ring available somewhere that I could attach to the flange (with underwater epoxy, perhaps?)

Thanks for any help!

stu

Main drain cover problem

Postby stu » Tue 02 May, 2006 15:29

Perhaps if you had a photo or a make/model someone her might be able to help. It's a little hard to follow.
It has two swimming pool about 3/8" long ...
The center-to-center spacing is about 6.5" between the swimming pool.
:?
tmjst

Main drain cover problem

Postby tmjst » Wed 03 May, 2006 12:38

Yikes, I could've sworn I typed "two rectangular slots....." there. I must have inhaled too deeply when I opened the cover of the chlorine feeder.

There's no obvious make or model, although all of the other pool components are Hayward.

Here's a sketch of what the mounting ring looks like -- I don't have an underwater camera for a photograph :wink:

stu

Main drain cover problem

Postby stu » Wed 03 May, 2006 14:46

It seems like a standard round cover, though having the mounting holes in the right place is the issue.

Perhaps you could find a cover that fits snug and drill a couple of holes for screw mounting. The cover is very unlikely to come loose even with only 2 screws holding it in place. Getting 4 holes is ideal but impractical since you can't stay down long enough to take accurate enough measurements.

Hayward produce a main drain cover of 6.5". Visit their site for more info or this page for replacement parts details.
Christine

Postby Christine » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 10:48

I would suggest you purchase an 8" Virginia Graeme Baker approved main drain cover, get some epoxy from home depot or a construction supply store and fit it over the hole - no screws needed, epoxy is much stronger than concrete and will hold it down. I've looked and they aren't currently making a 6" main drain cover that meets the new standards.
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Fri 09 Oct, 2009 03:26

Aquastar 8" retro cover. Makes use of the 6" frame holes. Very clean, VGB compliant.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
Holly Mouly

Postby Holly Mouly » Sat 10 Oct, 2009 17:29

Christine wrote:I would suggest you purchase an 8" Virginia Graeme Baker approved main drain cover, get some epoxy from home depot or a construction supply store and fit it over the hole - no screws needed, epoxy is much stronger than concrete and will hold it down. I've looked and they aren't currently making a 6" main drain cover that meets the new standards.

Christine, stick with the recipes for a "hamburger helper".
The pool is full of water. Even if it was not chlorinated water WILL dissolve the fresh epoxy in no time.
pedahsala

Postby pedahsala » Sat 24 May, 2014 04:18

I have the same issue. My screw center-line is about 6.5 inches. (center-to-center) All the Hayward covers are 6 inches and do not work. I think we have the grate/cover listed below. Note: Pac Fab is now Pentair. Unfortunately the cover no longer exist. I have sent a message to Pentair to see if they can source or point me in the right direction. The two web addresses helped me tremendously and I thank Aquaman for his help.

Pac Fab 55-2500,
Main Drain Grate, 7.25"
Item# PEN542025

http://www.aqua-man.com/images/pdf/mainDrains.pdf
http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?Ic=71989

Good Luck finding this thing. I would hope that they would have a replacement cover.
SteveT

Postby SteveT » Sat 15 Nov, 2014 21:24

PROBLEM SOLVED! Epoxy does not work. The Aquastar cover is difficult to install and doesn't work in all situations. There's a new MAIN DRAIN ADAPTOR on the market at http://www.toolsforpools.com Any size residential VGB cover fits; it takes about a minute to install, including the cover, and it comes w/it's own hardware for everything. Check out the installation on YOUTUBE.COM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cysgW33ITIY

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”