The Circulator---anybody tried it?

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
corsara
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 36 x 18, vinyl liner

Postby corsara » Fri 07 May, 2010 13:55

Hi, I just stumbled upon this thing that goes into the inlets, called "The Circulator"

http://www.thecirculator.com/

Has anybody tried it? Does it really do what they say it does?

Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Fri 07 May, 2010 18:06

Corsara, why exactly are you interested in this. Do you think your pool has poor circulation?
corsara
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby corsara » Fri 07 May, 2010 18:14

Not really. I am just opening my pool for the first time, was browsing around and came accross this. It's terribly expensive, thought it sounds good and wanted to see what people think.
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Fri 07 May, 2010 18:23

What it claims to do is nice. But i can assure you that you achieve excellent circulation in your pool just by rotating the eyeballs accordingly. As a matter of fact I've dye tested a few pools for circulation and in most instances you could see the dye completely mixed in the water in less than 30 minutes.

Would it be necessary to spend all that money on this gadget? I'm not sure. Will it keep algae away from you pool and keep it cleaner and warmer just by merely doing what it claims? Definetely not!

I can see how it can give a greater degree of mixed water return...however I'm not all too convinced you should be spending that $ when you can still achieve the same results if your pool plumbing is set up correctly. How many skimmers and returns do you have?
corsara
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby corsara » Fri 07 May, 2010 19:42

Well, it's a 36 x 18, old pool, one skimmer and two returns.. hmm
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Fri 07 May, 2010 20:09

corsara wrote:Well, it's a 36 x 18, old pool, one skimmer and two returns.. hmm

hmm..yes. well maybe its worth a shot then to try them out then. I really cant say at this point. if your pool had 2+ skimmers and 3+ returns I would tell ya don't bother. But it's not a small pool and you only have 2 returns...
corsara
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby corsara » Fri 07 May, 2010 20:17

Sure. I bought the house with the pool in the Fall, so now is the first time I'll be dealing with a pool in my life. I guess I'll run it a bit like this, and later I might invest about $100 for two of these "Circulators"...we'll see. Thanks.
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Fri 07 May, 2010 20:24

So by the way, how did the cover removal and the opening go? Everything ok? Is the equipment running? Whats the water condition?
BMQ

Postby BMQ » Wed 16 Jun, 2010 20:31

The circulator was a disaster for me...I had just spent a fortune refirshing my gunnite pool, and as one of the final touches I added in the two circulators... The circulator caused so much back pressure because of its design with very small oultet openings the back pressure was so great that I had a problem with a leak in the pump room pump that was fixed...At the same time I had a leak in pump room at pump room floor requiring the jack hammering of concrete down about 7 inches to clear out the piping to repair a break in the piping from what was thought to be a weak point in the piping because of a bend in the piping when it was first installed years ago....Once we got that fixec I thought I was good for the season...The next day one of the return pipes to the pool under a concrete slab covered by flagstone ruptured and caused a massive water leakage that is likely going to result in costs from several thousand dollars to 15 to 20 thousand dollar.. I have had two pool companies plus a third party engineer type colleague of 30 years express the same concern about the Circulator..One of these experts removed the units from the pool wall and found embedded stones, bits of rubber debris plus other debris that made its way into the circulator from the filter....I guess I should have suspected something when I made my purchase my pool retailer of many years would not support the product after I made the purchase. They told me that the sale was final with a special introductory price from the manufacturer. I was still confident on the product as I dealt directly with owner of the company that owns The circulator who was actually in the store "hawking" his product...I found out after the sale that there was a cap that was to be housed over the circulator to direct the water down into the pool, but that they had run out of them. I found this out after I got the unit home and read the owners instruction inside the sealed box. I phoned the owner of the company down in Florida..Thats when he told me that I needed this cap but that they had run out of them...So the way it was left was I was basically out of luck on getting this cap at the time of purchase but to get it later. Eventually the retailer had them in so I got two to complete the install...The install according to three exoertt resulted in such a build up of pressure in a few short days that I have my disaster....caveat emptor. Anybody else got the same problems as I would like to see if there are others out there who have had this problem...[code][/code] :(
corsara
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby corsara » Wed 16 Jun, 2010 22:59

Well, I did end up getting two circulators, and it is true--the back pressure seems enormous, so I tried to return them. A week after making the request for return authrization to the online store that sold me the product, I get a call from somebody claiming he's the inventor of the circulator, trying to convince me it's a very good product... It's been two weeks, the store that sold it to me seems to be not really cooperating with the return, but after reading your post---there is no way these circulators are going back to my outlets!
corsara
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby corsara » Wed 16 Jun, 2010 23:01

Xclusive wrote:So by the way, how did the cover removal and the opening go? Everything ok? Is the equipment running? Whats the water condition?

Oh well, it's been a month already. We got the cover out, the water was clear as air! :) Everything running, we even had a couple of days with good weather here in Ontario, Canada, so we had a family swim---great feeling!
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:45

They are very dangerous as the pressure does build up excessively in your system causing leaks, filter problems, and pump burnouts. They also do not last very long. We had at one point sold them, having our customers returning them weeks later for a replacement since they stopped working (plastic gears). Our store attempted to send them back as defective's to the manufacturer, who in turn denied the claim saying our customers must have "turned them by hand". This is not true as one of them was from the owner's friends pool. In the end, we ended up replacing them at our own expense and discontinuing them from our inventory for various reasons. (manufacturer obviously doesn't stand by the product, design flaws, equipment failure and liability). It is a wise choice to use standard eyeball diverters and have them set to literally make a 30 degree angled downward whirlpool.
Sakkie

Postby Sakkie » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 03:58

Do not buy this product !!!!!!!!!!Does it circulate the water ....yes,absolutely, but unfortunately that is where it ends !!!!!
No saving on chemicals
Not better heat distribution
Due to strong flow automatic pool cleaner gets blown into a corner and doesn't work properly.
The solar light is worth USD2.50 NOT USD50.00
The fountain is a piece of Chinese plastic junk ABSOLUTE RUBBISH !!!!!!!!
I am utterly disgusted in this product !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jlmccabes

Postby jlmccabes » Wed 13 Feb, 2013 06:46

Have had them for several years. GREATEST thing going for the pool. 3 returns, 1 skimmer. Keeps water uniformaly same temperature, stirs up the dirt so can go down drain. Love these things
PhD43
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 x 32 concrete

Postby PhD43 » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 16:27

I have been a pool owner for over 25 years and the circulator is the best investment I have ever purchased for my pool. I always do a lot of research before I buy anything and I have found that there is nothing else on the market that compares to the circulator. I have never had one problem with them and I purchased them from my pool store several years ago. I installed four circulators into my pool. It has saved me well over a third of my electric, chemical and heating bill. I called the manufacturer and they sent me 4 free fountains and a free solar light for my pool as a bonus.
As a mechanical engineer, I am very inquisitive about the products that I purchase. I was very much impressed with the high quality of this product considering the low cost. With the many benefits that I get with this product, it is worth so much more.
I have told my friends, neighbors and the people at work about this remarkable product and most of them purchased the circulator with absolutely no complaints. They have all thanked me for the good advice. I would highly recommend every pool owner to go online or to their local store and replace their fixed pool returns with the circulator. :thumbup:

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”