Keeping a black bottom pool cool

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
tailgater
I'm new here
I'm new here

Keeping a black bottom pool cool

Postby tailgater » Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:00

I'm a new pool owner and our summer a very hot. I was wondering if there's a way to keep a black bottom pool(Salt Water) cool during the summer? For example, custom cover or draining the pool mid-summer.

Thanks for your response.

Happy Holidays

Pool Owner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Pool Owner » Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:23

Hopefully someone from a desert area (e.g., Arizona, USA) will get back to you on this subject. Until then here are a few thought to consider…

Provide shade for sum or all of the pool during the hottest part of the day to prevent the solar energy from reaching the pool.

If you have not yet done so, try running your pool equipment during the coolest hours of the night/morning (especially any water features), which should assist in radiating heat out of the pool.

Install solar panels and run them at night to act as a radiator.

Utilize a white or reflective pool cover.

Good luck!
Pool Owner
Orange County, CA, USA
poolforum(dot)blogspot(dot)com
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 15 Dec, 2006 15:46

The ultimate solution is a heat pump running in reverse to act as a cooler. This works extremely well.

Additional strategies include hooking up a fountain to spray water into the air all the time. This is simply an evaporative cooler in the simplest terms. A waterfall could be used for similar purpose.

Running a solar collector at night is another strategy that can assist as the solar collector becomes a radiator provided the night air is cooler than the pool water.

A more radical approach which may work for your situation is to run a heat exchanger from your bore water and pass your pool water past the hot side of the exchanger. This will work if you have a cooler bore supply. In a similar vain a very large matrix of pipe works could be laid underground and water circulated through it. This will work on the basis the ground is not as hot as the pool, this would require significant engineering to ensure the correct amount of exchange, but it could be done.

HTH

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”