Slides

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.

Slides

Postby Guest » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 06:53

I have an above ground 24' round 48" wall pool.
We would like to add a slide to the deck for the kids.
I see the "swimming pool" slides are very pricey and was
wondering if anyone has tried a plastic playgound slide like they sell
at Lowes or Home Depot. It would be easy to add water to the slide
and they are pretty sturdy.

Thanks for any advice.

Tom

goalie66
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby goalie66 » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 06:55

Oops, forgot to login first.

:roll:

Tom
Debbiebe
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Debbiebe » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 19:41

My sister set up a playground slide on their deck and it worked fine.
dudeguy37
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dudeguy37 » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 22:57

I wouldn't recommend anything actually. Slides are prohibited on any above ground pools, regardless of depth. Unless this has changed, or isn't applicable in all states... Then I stand corrected. I've seen a lot of people get hurt, even with the simplest, safest slides, and while doing the most basic sliding actions...you know, sitting and going down. I mean, there's always a way to rig something up I suppose, and make it SUPER safe... but still, I'd check into the local regulations first.
wiz28
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby wiz28 » Thu 14 Jun, 2007 20:31

I have to agree with dudeguy. I "had" a slide when I inherited the pool with the house. Did not take me long to realize one of my kids or someone else's kids were going to injure themselves. My youngest just about fell off and hit her head on the concrete. That was it for me and I removed it. So if you are willing to pay for the slide (they are expensive) and possibly pay for someone else's injuries, then by all means do it. I do not reccomend it.
dang_pool

Postby dang_pool » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:45

We tried that just yesterday. (Yes, we are throwing caution into the wind. :o) ) Problem is that the fiberglass is not smooth like you want a water slide to be. I put a post on here a few minutes ago to see if there is anything I can coat it with or paint onto it to make it smoother. It is just too rough for a partially-exposed bum.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 20:50

FYI:

If you install a slide or diving board and don't tell your homeowners insurance company, they won't cover you if you have an injury (which could be very serious...paralysis, head/neck injury, etc).

If you DO tell them, expect your rates to jump quite a bit due to the inherent dangers of both.

Damned if you, and damned if you don't. :?

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”