What to do with the water when emptying

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
dongiulio
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

What to do with the water when emptying

Postby dongiulio » Fri 20 Sep, 2019 01:19

Hello,

Winter is coming, so it's time to empty the pool, or move it inside, I'm wondering what to do with that truckload worth of water.

Use it for watering the garden? Dump it in the sewers? Hold it somehow to reuse it right away in the same pool, just moved inside?

During the season I have kept the water clean using Trichloroisocyanuric tabs.

I know that chlorine fades away with time, and I reckon that by now it must have all gone. How about the cyanuric component? Does it fade away too?

I might be able to store the water in a big reservoir that contains water for home use, but I'm worried that the cyanide might make the reservoir unsafe.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Giulio

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A6003 utilizzando Tapatalk

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: What to do with the water when emptying

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 21 Sep, 2019 02:08

If you are swimming in water as most people do with CYA in it then it would be safe to store it
CYA does diminish over time so check your level as excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective
You are better sanitising with liquid chlorine (plain bleach)
If excessive CYA it may be best to just dump it
dongiulio
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby dongiulio » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 07:12

Thanks,

I just got delivered the CYA test and checked my pool, CYA is at 40ppm, which seems optimal for the pool. Total chlorine and free chlorine are very low, almost zero.

I'm worried about pumping the water temporarily to the domestic water reservoir (rain water mostly, but I keep it at minimum level topping up from the well).
Maybe I could use it for watering my garden or my vegetable garden? (I have also a separate reservoir for gardening with water just from the well).

It's about 6 cubic meters of water, I really don't like the idea of sending it to the sewers, and what I really need is to store it for a few hours while I move the pool structure indoor.

We have a baby at home and I'm worried CYA might be toxic or too harsh for her.

Thanks,
Giulio
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 08:35

dongiulio wrote:Thanks,

I just got delivered the CYA test and checked my pool, CYA is at 40ppm, which seems optimal for the pool. Total chlorine and free chlorine are very low, almost zero.

I'm worried about pumping the water temporarily to the domestic water reservoir (rain water mostly, but I keep it at minimum level topping up from the well).
Maybe I could use it for watering my garden or my vegetable garden? (I have also a separate reservoir for gardening with water just from the well).

It's about 6 cubic meters of water, I really don't like the idea of sending it to the sewers, and what I really need is to store it for a few hours while I move the pool structure indoor.

We have a baby at home and I'm worried CYA might be toxic or too harsh for her.

Thanks,
Giulio

You would swim in 40 ppm CYA water so it is safe
There shouldn't be any chlorine in water for irrigation
The fact that you only want to store it for a few hours really negates the worry of watering plants with it
I wouldn't drink it though, so I would use the gardening reservoir and then top it up from the well
dongiulio
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby dongiulio » Wed 02 Oct, 2019 15:10

thanks,

Indeed I wouln't both water the plants, and store it for a few hours, that was just an alternative use for that water, which is still better than the drain.

I'll thoroughly water the plants, (3 cubic meters of water), and store the rest in the reservoir, then top up from the well...

thanks.

G

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”