High PSI

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
blechz
I'm new here
I'm new here

High PSI

Postby blechz » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 19:36

I have a Hayward sand filter for my above ground pool. After reconnecting after the winter, the psi is about 15. The specs say that if the psi goes above 6-8 psi I should backflush.

I tried backflushing, but it remains at 15 psi. Is this ok? What should I do?

Sheldon Blech
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: High PSI

Postby Backglass » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 21:38

blechz wrote:I have a Hayward sand filter for my above ground pool. After reconnecting after the winter, the psi is about 15. The specs say that if the psi goes above 6-8 psi I should backflush.

I tried backflushing, but it remains at 15 psi. Is this ok? What should I do?

Are you sure the gauge is working correctly? The "stock" gauges are crap and often rust out in one season. I'll bet that's it.
Smacktalke

Postby Smacktalke » Sat 07 Jul, 2007 22:23

I have a Hayward and I belive my intructions said to mark what the pressure was at initial start up. ( Mine was 8 lbs) When the pressure rises 8 to 10 lbs higher than start up it is time to backwash. But dont do it too early because the dirtyer it gets the better it filters. So I backwash at 20 lbs. Thats just me though. I hope this helps. Oh also I think I rember that it has a 50 lb max, so iI personly will not let it get to 40.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 07 Jul, 2007 22:42

Smacktalke wrote:I have a Hayward and I belive my intructions said to mark what the pressure was at initial start up. ( Mine was 8 lbs) When the pressure rises 8 to 10 lbs higher than start up it is time to backwash. But dont do it too early because the dirtyer it gets the better it filters. So I backwash at 20 lbs. Thats just me though. I hope this helps. Oh also I think I rember that it has a 50 lb max, so iI personly will not let it get to 40.

You are correct on the 10psi differential backwash, but I wouldn't let it go much higher. Not that it will damage anything, but your flow will be reduced so much that you reach a point of diminishing returns. You are filtering better, yes...but your turnover time goes through the roof.
Smacktalke

Postby Smacktalke » Sun 08 Jul, 2007 21:42

Backglass Thanks thats somthing I didnt even think about. Also I didnt notice that he backwashed and guage stayed the same. Again you are more than likly right with the guage stuck anser. Nice to have you here
Smacktalke

Postby Smacktalke » Sun 08 Jul, 2007 21:52

I just had a thought and tried it on mine. Shut your pump off and check your guage. Mine ran 0 Lbs. Also I put it on recirculate and it read 2 lbs lower than on filter mode. Its backglass' s idea. See what happens

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”