Does a Salt Chlorinator system require a non-metal pool?

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
Blueshark
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Blueshark » Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:19

I submitted this post in the specialized category, but never received any reply... Here's my issue:

I just replaced my above-ground pool. The salesperson indicated that if I wanted to install a salt chlorinator system, I had to buy a pool that had no metal parts at all: resin wall, post and connectors only. Otherwise, the salt water will corrode the metal parts. Of course the resin-only pool costs three times the amount of the regular pool!

The professional pool installer that I hired told me that this was a bunch of B.S. The pool manufacturers just want to make more profits! He has seen numerous salt systems installed on regular pools: no problem. The driver of the tanker truck that filled my pool has a salt system installed in his metal pool and never had any problems either. I realize that salt water systems have probably not been around that long, that a steel wall would become corroded and fail. I also know that the salt content in a pool is very low, much less than human tears.

So, my question is: should I install a salt chlorinator with a regular (metal) swimming pool?

:?

pool doctor

Postby pool doctor » Wed 26 Sep, 2007 14:55

our AG pools are of steel construction. I've not had a problem as of yet with any of mine that are on salt gens.
AutumnV

Postby AutumnV » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 12:08

We have been running a salt water pool with metal in it for almost 10 years, never had a problem. Recently got a new rail installed and bolts rusted off within a week....not sure why but had them replaced and everything is fine now.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 12:50

The only people who have reported problems with an SWG on an above-ground pool were those with pools that had some cheap non-stainless-steel bolts or screws since those rusted faster at the higher salt levels. They just replaced those and they were fine.

The fact is that conductivity is roughly proportional to TDS and the TDS of an SWG pools is 2-6 times higher than a non-SWG pool (which varies in TDS since it increases as chlorine usage produces chloride salt). Corrosion rates are dependent on multiple factors (low pH being the fastest corrosive factor), but conductivity is one of those factors, especially for galvanic corrosion (which occurs in places where dissimilar metals are touching).

In the worst case, if all metal touching the water is bonded together, then a zinc block (in the ground) can be attached to this wire and protect the metal (the zinc will corrode instead of the metal -- it essentially puts a negative charge on the wire and all metal in the pool to reduce corrosion rates).

In terms of metals, aluminum is the worst in an SWG pool, galvanized (zinc-coated) steel isn't good either (for thin zinc layers -- i.e. electroplated; hot-dipped might be OK but I'm not sure since I haven't seen reports with those) while stainless steel is the best (and different stainless steels vary as well). Other steel parts will vary depending on composition and whether they are touching dissimilar metals.

Richard
Angela Loves Salt System

Postby Angela Loves Salt System » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 12:20

We are in our 6th summer and yes the caps are rusting out and the rust is falling into the pool... still six years and the really bad areas are where the ladders are ....maybe if we had of rinsed these areas off with fresh after we would still be in good shape, but then again I can buy a new pool, maybe 2 new pools with the money and time we have spent using the salt system......I love the salt system and will do it again :-)
Poppy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18’ round above ground pool. Hayward sand filter with glass media. Flipping Frog XL mineral system.

Re: Does a Salt Chlorinator system require a non-metal pool?

Postby Poppy » Sun 06 Jun, 2021 18:18

I have researched this topic to death. A little history. I grew up with a 15x30 above ground pool. My pop just scrapped it a few years ago. That pool lasted 27 years but the last 5 or so was borrowed time. It was a vinyl coat steel which was sold on a notation that it would never rust as long as the coating was good. The bottom track was rusted out on a corner for over the last 10 years. And we could see the wall getting bad after the 2nd liner (total of 5). So fast forward after about 17 years I decided to give in last year and bought my family of 6 a pool because we couldn’t travel with nothing open. I didn’t want a chlorine system because I personally hate the dry feeling after swimming and and my oldest son has eczema real bad. So we looked into a salt water system. We purchased a pool that was saltwater safe. So they said but when you read the manufacturer’s notation at the bottom for our model is isn’t recommended. I purchased the salt system for 700 bucks with the 7 bags of salt. When I got home I was worried about rotting out the pool so researched the heck out of the options. I found that it isn’t the salt that is hard on the pools. It’s the high chlorine lvls. Salt is turned into chlorine against the bacteria in the pool and when it goes through the chlorinator it turns it back into salt. Then I saw the maintenance requirements every year to clean and recharge the chlorinator and possible new anodes every two years. I was worried to risk it on my pool. I have a steel wall pool with everything else resin. We ended up going with the pool frog 6100 mineral system. I had issues balancing the chlorine lvls as it was always high even on setting one. After talking with Pool Frog they told me to get a bigger eyeball socket. That still didn’t work for me. I ended up using the floating tablet dispenser and ran the pool frog with just the minerals only. Pool was perfect after that. When I closed the pool for the first time last fall noticed the area around my skimmer was showing signs of rust. One thing I found out while looking at pools is that the warranty is useless as pool manufacturers change the name and model every year to prevent to having to honor the warranty claims. My pool isn’t even a year old yet. But I have read many times over that it’s not the salt the is hard on the metals it’s the high chlorine lvls. The mineral system has the lowest chlorine requirements then any other system. If you are worried about rust look into one of those. I am using the flipping frog system this year. When I opened the pool my lvls were perfect! I have been running the system since the weekend before memorial weekend and with the heat and rain on the Mid Atlantic area the lvls have been perfect. We love it. So to answer you question yes and no. LoL

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”