black ring around pebble tec pool

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
granny77

Postby granny77 » Sat 08 Mar, 2008 17:33

We had a in ground pebble tec pool put in about 8 yrs ago over the last couple of years the water line around the pool has turned black. In the beginning we thought it might be black algae but we have tried everything we have come across and cant seem to remove it. We have not found anyone who can tell us what it is and with all of the scrubbing and rubbing on the pebble tec it is starting erode the finish. Can anyone shed any light on this problem for us:?:

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Wed 12 Mar, 2008 18:19

Could possibly be staining from iron in the water. Have your water tested for metals.
crazyannie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: black ring around pebble tec pool

Postby crazyannie » Fri 14 Mar, 2008 19:05

granny77 wrote:We had a in ground pebble tec pool put in about 8 yrs ago over the last couple of years the water line around the pool has turned black. In the beginning we thought it might be black algae but we have tried everything we have come across and cant seem to remove it. We have not found anyone who can tell us what it is and with all of the scrubbing and rubbing on the pebble tec it is starting erode the finish. Can anyone shed any light on this problem for us:?:

I agree check for metals and another question I might ask is what are your alkanity readings and have you been dumping more than 10 pounds of sodium bicarbonate in at one time?
richard2222

Postby richard2222 » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:00

Had the same problem. There is an easy fix. Get a chlorene tablet and use it like a piece of chalk. Rub it on the black streak, putting it on fairly thick. Leave it overnight.....should be clean the next morning! Worked for me. Good Luck.
pebble tec owner

Postby pebble tec owner » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 22:41

We bought a cheap garden sprayer that we use only for pool liquid chlorine. Once around the pool takes about a quart and the black ring is gone by the time we complete the circuit.

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”