What to do about a vendor ripoff?

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
norbit

Postby norbit » Sun 24 Aug, 2008 19:12

I am not sure what action to take on a local pool company who really took me for a ride? What started out to be $1200.00 turned into over $2500. I accept to costs for the liner, but I started out with a two year old filter, and have ended up with no use of a pool all summer, a new Haywood filer, (somehow the old one got a factory defect after two years), and outlandish costs.

They are not part of the BBB, and I have no warenty information on either the new filter, or the liner.

I am new to a pool, and needed this one for medical reasons, they were recommended, and I had purchased a the old filter from them two years ago with no problem, but it seem to be new people.

I just paid the last $372.00 off (after being told it was $112.00. Should I call Haywood and advise them I need my warranty?

Postby Guest » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 19:24

You got a pool for medical reasons? Is it that your doctor wants you to have a nervous breakdown? Pools are a royal PITA, and don't believe anyone who tells you differently. Haywood filters are garbage, but so are all of the rest. Pool service companies employ hundreds who know very little about pools but very much about how to sell you poorly made pool equipment and accessories. Whenever you buy a piece of pool equipment, rest assured you will be buying it again in 2-3 years. That is the planned obsolescence factor built in to each and every piece of pool equipment out there. Those in the biz know this to be absolutely true, yet you can be sure they will bend over backwards to deny it. Don't believe me? Check your warranty cards.

If you want peace of mind, fill in your pool and join your local health club, after making sure they have a pool that is maintained to a standard of excellence. You've been warned.

FWIW, I have been a pool owner for the last twenty years. I know more about pools than most "pool guys" out there.
XtremelyTropical
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby XtremelyTropical » Thu 19 Mar, 2009 15:11

If you weren't handed your warranty with sale I doubt you will get them to produce one now. Receipts might help but I sincerely doubt it.

Good Luck!
Artificial Palm Trees and NEW Palm Tree Mailbox! http://www.xtremelytropical.com - Commercial grade/Residential Pricing. Seeking Distributors.

Postby Guest » Thu 19 Mar, 2009 18:58

If you want peace of mind, fill in your pool and join your local health club, after making sure they have a pool that is maintained to a standard of excellence. You've been warned.

FWIW, I have been a pool owner for the last twenty years.

Why haven't you taken your own advice and filled in your pool yet? :wtf:

C'mon, it's been 20 years already! Not ready for peace of mind I assume. :roll:

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”