Pool Pump Timers

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
beerandchips
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool Pump Timers

Postby beerandchips » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 12:07

Hi,

I am utterly confused about pool pump timers. First, my info. We have an above ground 24ft round, 54 inch deep pool. I'd say about 14,500 gallons. A hayward 1 HP, 115V, 13.8 amp pump and Hayword sand filter.
Ok, I have researched and researched and am still confused on which pump timer I should get. I see timers that say 110V 15 amp. Will this work? I see timers that say 120V 15 amp. Will this work? Why can't I find any schematic or wiring diagrams on the sites that sell these things. I just wish someone would say, "Steve, buy this one, it costs this much". I don't even know what brand to buy. I have a 20 amp gfci breaker, the wire comes out of the box and out the side wall of the garage into the ground and goes straight to the pump. The pump is directly wired to the power cable. I want to only control the pump, no lights, etc. I would like to cut the line coming from the breaker and install inline in the garage.
Any help would be appreciated. I am new to pools (this year) after buying a house and am learning, but still have a ways to go.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve

Re: Pool Pump Timers

Postby Guest » Sun 07 Sep, 2008 01:11

Ok, Steve, buy an Intermatic T101. Should cost about $45 or $50. It is a 110-125V/ 40 amp timer. It will come with wiring instructions and you can also find them on the Intermatic site.

Intermatic is the most common timer used on pools. Easy to install. Power in, power out and your neutral line.

beerandchips wrote:Hi,

I am utterly confused about pool pump timers. First, my info. We have an above ground 24ft round, 54 inch deep pool. I'd say about 14,500 gallons. A hayward 1 HP, 115V, 13.8 amp pump and Hayword sand filter.
Ok, I have researched and researched and am still confused on which pump timer I should get. I see timers that say 110V 15 amp. Will this work? I see timers that say 120V 15 amp. Will this work? Why can't I find any schematic or wiring diagrams on the sites that sell these things. I just wish someone would say, "Steve, buy this one, it costs this much". I don't even know what brand to buy. I have a 20 amp gfci breaker, the wire comes out of the box and out the side wall of the garage into the ground and goes straight to the pump. The pump is directly wired to the power cable. I want to only control the pump, no lights, etc. I would like to cut the line coming from the breaker and install inline in the garage.
Any help would be appreciated. I am new to pools (this year) after buying a house and am learning, but still have a ways to go.

Steve
beerandchips
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby beerandchips » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 13:30

Anonymous wrote:Ok, Steve, buy an Intermatic T101. Should cost about $45 or $50. It is a 110-125V/ 40 amp timer. It will come with wiring instructions and you can also find them on the Intermatic site.

Intermatic is the most common timer used on pools. Easy to install. Power in, power out and your neutral line.

Steve

I thought I replied to this, but, evidently I didn't. Sorry. Thank you for answering this. I bought and installed it. Perfect.

Thanks much.

Steve

Postby Guest » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 18:47

Glad I could help.

beerandchips wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Ok, Steve, buy an Intermatic T101. Should cost about $45 or $50. It is a 110-125V/ 40 amp timer. It will come with wiring instructions and you can also find them on the Intermatic site.

Steve

I thought I replied to this, but, evidently I didn't. Sorry. Thank you for answering this. I bought and installed it. Perfect.

Thanks much.

Steve

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”