Closing in Ground pool in Ga.

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
Virgil
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Virgil » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 18:11

I have just installed a new in-ground pool. With the seasons here in Georgia being from March to December. I am considering not closing my pool, but let it run several hour a day. Can any one from GA let me know if you have done this as well.

Virgil

sticks5a

NOT Closing in Ground pool in Tennessee

Postby sticks5a » Mon 19 Oct, 2009 21:19

I'm in tennessee and want to do the same, keep the leaves out ,run it a few hours a day, my neighbor dose it, thanks, bill

Postby Guest » Fri 23 Oct, 2009 11:02

Yup. Keeping it running is so much easier and looks so good too.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Fri 23 Oct, 2009 19:32

Virgil wrote:I have just installed a new in-ground pool. With the seasons here in Georgia being from March to December. I am considering not closing my pool, but let it run several hour a day. Can any one from GA let me know if you have done this as well.

Virgil

Keep the pool running and checking the chemical balance thru the winter is a good practice for those who can afford it. In the southern states with short winter is almost foolish not to run the filter system and replenish needed chemicals.
In the case of a just installed pool I would not call it foolish. Asking for a potential damage and loss of investment may be more proper. Proper curing of a new plastered gunite is the very base from which lifespan of application comes.
Do yourself a biggest favor and PLEASE run the filter and keep checking the curing habits of the plaster once a week. In wintertime the chlorine loss is minimized and algae start not a treat.
High PH may be and so is Total alkalinity. In 3-4 month you may damage your plaster.
If it was my pool, I would also invest in 50# bag of Boric acid as a PH buffer and next year algae inhibitor.
You will experience additional benefits of it that are easy to locate on the Net.
P.S.
It was not my intention to scare you. The difference of 4 months of a little higher electrical bill against loosing 5 years of lifespan of new plaster is worth examining.
Good luck with your new playground!
sticks5b

Postby sticks5b » Sun 15 Nov, 2009 20:31

Keeping my pool going is working out really well, all the leaves have fallen and I have cleaned the pool and it looks great. ran the filter 4 hours today, and I turned the pump off at night, I don't know if i'll run the filter tomorrow or not, probably not. I like it alot better uncovered!!!!!!!!!! and still looks great in the back yard!!! I remember taking the cover off in the spring, OMG what a mess!!! YEA! not this year!!!! Bill
PoolFun
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We have a free form swimming pool with a large shallow end. The vinyl liner has recently been replaced and we love it. Now have a salt system as well.

Postby PoolFun » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 08:21

We live in Georgia as well and have had in inground pool for 11 years. After 10 years of keeping the pool open during the winter, we finally decided to install an inground swimming pool cover. Last year we had the lines blown, lowered the water level and had a mesh pool cover put on. This mesh cover blocks 99% of UV light so that when we opened the pool there was no algae and the water was nice and clear. If you want to know more about the cover we selected and to see pictures of the install process go to my house
KWallett

Re: Closing in Ground pool in Ga.

Postby KWallett » Thu 20 Oct, 2016 09:43

Poolfun...I live in GA as well, Senoia, in fact. We are practically neighbors. I was considering not closing my pool as well. I was looking for a solar heat pump or someway to keep the water warm without adding to my power bill. In the event I decide to close the pool which mesh cover did you get and how do you like it?

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”