Back In The Game Again, This Time In SoCal

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
Cendari78

Postby Cendari78 » Mon 16 Mar, 2009 19:44

Hi everyone,

I have a ton of questions, but first let me explain the situation. My parents owned a pool years ago that I took care of as I got older. This was in Missouri so lots of rain, algae, tree limbs, and whatever got into our inground pool. Lots of vacuuming, but no fancy self cleaning robots like I've seen in todays pools

My husband and I are about to buy our first home out here in San Diego. This house comes with an inground pool. It looks like we're going to get the house, so we're talking about the pool. I didn't see any cracks in it, but it is missing the gear box, if that's what you call it. The place still needs to be inspected first. We've decided that if the pool still works or if it won't take much to get it working again we'll fix up the pool. Even though I wasn't too excited about having a pool again, I did think that since this is SoCal, hardly any rain, a pool may not be as hard to care for like back in the rainy east.

My questions; For SoCal would it be best to care for the pool myself or pay a pool company to clean it? I don't even know the prices of hiring someone verses me buying the chemicals myself.

Also we are interested in the robot/mechanical pool cleaners that seem to go around pools doing their thing, are those a waste of money?

Anyone know of at least half way decent pool companies out here in San Diego? I've seen some posts about a few places being ripoffs and I'd like to avoid that.

Ok that's all for now, thank you all so much

Cendari78

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Pool care in SoCal

Postby Larry » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:36

Hi Cendari and congrats on the new home :D

would it be best to care for the pool myself or pay a pool company to clean it?

The decision on whether to maintain your own pool or hire a company to do it has a few considerations:
  • time - do you have the time to do the work?
  • budget - how much are you willing to spend?
  • reliabilty & reputation - does the company have good references?
If you buy a good pool cleaner there will be little work in the way of cleaning and you would mostly need to spend time on adding chemicals to balance the water.

As far as difficulty goes, generally the warmer the weather and pool water, the more easily the pool water can spoil. That said, a well balanced pool that is regularly given the right amount of chemicals will not pose any problems. Infrequent pool care causes pool problems.

Larry
XtremelyTropical
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby XtremelyTropical » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:09

I think you need to decide how much time you will have to dedicate to your pool maintanence without feeling like its occupying all your time just with maintaning. But if you have the time start out trying it yourself if you feel overwhelmed or find you yourself are neglecting it them start receiving some bids for pool care.

I do agree you should definetly ask for references for each company you receive a bid from.

Good luck and congratulations.
Artificial Palm Trees and NEW Palm Tree Mailbox! http://www.xtremelytropical.com - Commercial grade/Residential Pricing. Seeking Distributors.

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”