Heat Pump..opinion on Gulf Stream or Aqua Cal?

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
glal2

Postby glal2 » Mon 16 Jan, 2012 20:35

We have had a Gulfstream pool heater for about four years--don't have exact model number in front of me, but we purchased it because it supposedly was the only pool heater with a five-year warranty that actually included service. So far, we've had the entire unit replaced once under warranty when it failed to function shortly after it was installed. We recently had yet another problem with the thermostat and requested service, but were told that a 10 degree temperature gap--which is what we had--is normal, and even though we were still under warranty, if a service person came and found that our 10 degree thermostat gap did not represent an actual malfunction, we'd have to pay for the service call. Thus, we didn't schedule service, and have lived with uncomfortable water temperature for a good chunk of this winter. Weeks later--this morning, to be exact, the thermostat failed to turn on the pool heater at all! We called for service--under warranty--and are still awaiting a call to see when service will be scheduled. We are daily swimmers, already had been without our pool for nearly a week due to unusually cold weather and depend entirely on our pool for our morning exercise, so this wait is a true hardship on us. Bottom line: The jury is still out, but given the very prickly, slow service we've received so far from Gulfstream and the numerous mechanical problems we've had with this relatively new unit, we're not sure we'd buy a Gulfstream pool heater again.

GLAL2

Postby GLAL2 » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 17:09

Update on our Gulfstream pool heater: We were told that evidently, when our pool heater was replaced under warranty, the thermostat was installed improperly-- reading a line instead of the pool water--or something to that effect. This, after we spent the whole winter with high heating bills in an effort to keep the pool warm! Supposedly this problem finally was fixed with our last service call. However, last week we became aware that our pool was leaking. We were awakened three times in the middle of the night by a gurgling noise. Although we called a pool leak company, which charges $275 just to come out, luckily our pool service technician cleaned our pool the day before that appointment. He noted that the leak was coming from--(surprise!)--our pool heater. Once again, we called Gulfstream under our warranty. Despite the incredible inconvenience they have put us through--not to mention our high water bills, again, Gulfstream could not immediately give us a definite appointment time. Neverthless, they did call back later in the day to let us know they would be coming tomorrow, thank goodness! We pray this is the end of our Gulfstream nightmares.
John75

Postby John75 » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 20:02

Hi glal! Have you checked this guide to swimming pool heaters
sean wilson

Postby sean wilson » Thu 26 Apr, 2012 12:59

I run a large commerical pool in Cape Coral. I had ten Gulfstream units on our pool, a little over 1.5 million BTUS, that lasted me a little over six years. The service was always prompt, and the 5 year warranty is the big selling feature that was attractive, but in saying that, some of the subcontractor reps were ok that did the warranty work but there were several that did line leak repairs and flow sensor problems that were more of air conditioning service techs and did not seem well qualified for pool heaters. Also, the amount of repairs would have been very costly without the warranty.
I started this year to switch to Aquacal. I had two changed out this month of my ten. They are more money but looking at the two Aquacals that were installed that are very quiet with a larger fan blade,sitting next to the eight Gulfstreams, looks like a Corvette sitting next to your grandpa's old Park Avenue.(gulfstream)
If you are looking at cost and warranty, then Gulfstream is probably the choice. I go by their build warehouse everyday off I-75, but I think if you are comparing the two companies for an overall quality build, there is no question that Aquacal's many years in business shows very clearly when the products are sitting next to each other, like they are currently on my site in Sandoval.

Postby Guest » Sat 08 Sep, 2012 15:50

[quote="Jo47"]I'm going to install a heat pump and have been looking at the Gulf Stream GS 1000 or Aqua Cal HR 120. I think the Gulf Stream may put out just a few more BTU's than the ACal but everything else is pretty much the same. Has anyone had any experience with either of these units or know anything about them? Price is within a few hundred dollars of each other. It will be used in Florida mostly between the months of October and June.

Would appreciate any opinions. Thank you.[/quotE
DO NOT BUY GULF STREAM JUNK COPPER ON EXCHANGER WARES OUT . QUICK.
AQUA CAL BUILT LIKE A ROCK. I SERVICE THEM BOTH. AQUA CAL MUCH SUPERIOR.
wimbushmechanical
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby wimbushmechanical » Fri 08 Mar, 2013 22:47

I have never worked on a Gulfstream, but have worked on Aqua-cal so I cannot give my two cents as a comparison, but after a life time as a service tech I gotta throw in a few thoughts...

Just because a company has been around for 30 years doesnt make it better. If you are comparing them against a brand new unproven product then I agree but a 6 year old company can be just as good as a dinosaur, and sometimes better.
Claims about peformance are always exagerations created by advertising salespeople, whether we are looking at anti-aging creams, cars or pool heaters.
Fraud is another story altogether. Not too many people will risk fraud to sell a pool heater.

If you are spending your hard earned money, in my neck of the woods, I always recommend Jandy. There products are competitive and the warranty outshines everyone else.

Postby Guest » Thu 19 Dec, 2013 10:34

Gulfstream has never used a copper heat exchanger. Please disregard much of the nonsense in these posts. I know some of the independent posts on this thread are coming from dealers with an agenda. GulfStream and AquCal make excellent performing and quiet units. Our factory is 10,000 sq ft. You will not go wrong with either.
Aaron Fields
Owner - GulfStream
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 19 Dec, 2013 19:17

I don't have any experience with Gulfstream, but I've worked on several AquaCals. I've never seen anything wrong on an AquaCal that wasn't normal wear and tear, or the result of a good Florida lightning strike. Whatever unit you choose, I would spend the $$ on good surge protection.

-CG
billp

Postby billp » Thu 21 Aug, 2014 18:02

I am also looking at a heater and also live in Florida. I think the deciding factor is the warrantee which blows away any other heat pump. I believe Gulf stream is the way I will myself go. Plus they are made in Florida and have one of the lowest decibel noise factors of the fan.

Postby Guest » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 22:17

It's been 5 years since the last post on this "best heat pump" subject ... any new info ??
TerryD

Re: Heat Pump..opinion on Gulf Stream or Aqua Cal?

Postby TerryD » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 16:35

Clearly these were mostly planted reviews, so the information is mostly biased and not experience based. The "my husband is very consumer savvy" "plants" for AquaCal seem to push the hardest with the nearly slanderous propaganda line, so that made up my mind... I'm buying the Gulf Stream. Sleazy b@st@rds never get my business if I can help it. Thank you!
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 05:19

Yeah Terry

That post on the first page really is more an advertising push than a real opinion.

Thanks for pointing it out
Deb in Venice

Postby Deb in Venice » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 08:44

You know why the Gulfstream is quiet?
It never works.....
Denise

Postby Denise » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 18:06

Looking to purchase a new pool heat pump. Looked at Aqua cal, Gulf Stream, Aquatherm and Jacuzzi. This is Sept. 2017. Anyone have any more opinions REGARDING aquacal or gulfstream?
exumaman

Postby exumaman » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 11:01

Also looking into a replacement pool heater. Currently have a Gulfstream Heat Pump that is 13 years old (2004 HI model). Planning on replacing with a new HI125 model. Haven't really had any problems with the 13 year old until this fall. It's just lived far beyond it's life. Have looked at many other brands but have not seen any that would make me change, as yet.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”