Heater Problem

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Crown pool

Heater Problem

Postby Crown pool » Sat 27 Apr, 2013 17:07

Yes they can build them that fast in fact they could have done it in 5 hours . It makes a great warm home for them

Ed q

Heater Problem

Postby Ed q » Sun 19 May, 2013 19:59

JNick wrote:Same problem with H250 purchased last year.
I think you have the same problem. Try this (Hayward temp fix). The blower cover on the right side of the blower has holes in it. Cover up half the holes with tape and see if the heater lights and stays lit. If it does you have to replace the flame sensor with the new type. According to Hayward you can operate the heater with the tape in place with no damage. This is a manufacturers defect. My new flame sensor and installation will be free of charge.

Thanks, tried everything removed gas valve checked voltages checked for blockages all good brand new heater. Taped half the blower holes and fired right up.
Bill

Heater Problem

Postby Bill » Fri 30 May, 2014 09:16

I have a new 250 btu Natural Gas Hayward heater and it was working good until yesterday and all of sudden it keeps blowing outlet breaker. I have the pump and heater plugged into the same outlet. I unplugged the heater and the pool pump works. I unplugged the pump and plugged in the heater and the breaker pops. So it has to be the heater. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Heater Problem

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 30 May, 2014 11:01

Bill,

It could be any number of things that would cause this. Does the heater power up at all, or does it pop the breaker as soon as you turn it on? Could be as simple as a bad wire or switch. If this is a brand new heater, don't try to mess with it yourself as you could void the warranty. Call Hayward and arrange for a warranty service.

-CG
gkcmilner

Re: Heater Problem

Postby gkcmilner » Sat 27 Aug, 2016 12:21

I just installed a brand new Hayward H400FD ASME and had the same problem as the original poster (and many others here). The tape trick worked. This thread is about 5 years old and Hayward has not fixed this issue?? My heater came with two plates, one with fewer holes and one with more. The one with fewer was already pre-installed. Obviously still too many holes.
Thanks for the tip.
proshooter

Postby proshooter » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 13:37

I have 2- H150fd/n. They both were manufactured in 2014. I bought one on Ebay. It was new ...never installed from a person that bought a "Going out of Bussiness" deal from a pool store. I drove 2.5 hrs there and 2.5 hrs back to pickup the first one. Installed it and couldn't get it to fire up. I took it back and it was replaced with another H150fd/n. For my troubles the seller gave me the first one I returned to use as parts...or fix it. I installed the second one mid-season in 2015. It worked great. Fast forward to the end-season 2016. Heater worked fine all summer until Sept...when we really need it. It would cycle through 4-5 times and then the code IF. I messed with it exchanging every part from heater #2 that I could think of using the trouble shooting guide from Hayward. No luck. I then read this forum and used tape to cover 1/2 of the blower holes as described. Fired right up and runs fine. I'm hoping that the heater #2 has the same problem and can be used by someone. Not sure if this is a long term fix but it works!! Thanks for posting!!!
Seanboy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Seanboy » Fri 18 Nov, 2016 19:58

Could someone post a picture of the holes they covered, please?
Seanboy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Seanboy » Sat 19 Nov, 2016 10:46

I ask because I have an h400idl2 and I don't see these holes.
DavidPoolBoy

Postby DavidPoolBoy » Sun 23 Apr, 2017 19:25

Hello, Thanks for the tip. I installed a new H400FD today and the install went well but as noted here The flame kept going out. I used your tip and covered 50% of the holes and the flame stayed on and all is well. Thanks
Coach Ro

Postby Coach Ro » Sun 14 May, 2017 08:37

OMG. Was so frustrated til I read this post. Had a probcome out. Had a new meter put on my house. Was about to dig up the gas line! I knew it was all BS! A 6" piece of duct tape fixed it. I'm not very handy but can find the blower and blower plate in the manual. Took my cover off. There it is. A bunch of square holes to let air into the blower motor. IMPORTANT. I FIRST COVERED THE LEFT HALF VERTICALLY AND THE PROBLEM PERSISTED. ONE GUY SAID HE COVERED THE BOTTOM FOUR ROWS... SO I COVERES THE BOTTOM FOUR ROWS WITH THE SAME PIECE OF TAPE... BAM! FIRED UP FIRST TIME AND HASNT SHUT OFF FOR 10 minutes!
Thank you thank you thank you. Please read if you are having Hayward pool heater IF error code problems with the heater staying on.
CoachRo

Postby CoachRo » Tue 16 May, 2017 11:14

proshooter wrote:I have 2- H150fd/n. They both were manufactured in 2014. I bought one on Ebay. It was new ...never installed from a person that bought a "Going out of Bussiness" deal from a pool store. I drove 2.5 hrs there and 2.5 hrs back to pickup the first one. Installed it and couldn't get it to fire up. I took it back and it was replaced with another H150fd/n. For my troubles the seller gave me the first one I returned to use as parts...or fix it. I installed the second one mid-season in 2015. It worked great. Fast forward to the end-season 2016. Heater worked fine all summer until Sept...when we really need it. It would cycle through 4-5 times and then the code IF. I messed with it exchanging every part from heater #2 that I could think of using the trouble shooting guide from Hayward. No luck. I then read this forum and used tape to cover 1/2 of the blower holes as described. Fired right up and runs fine. I'm hoping that the heater #2 has the same problem and can be used by someone. Not sure if this is a long term fix but it works!! Thanks for posting!!!

Did you leave the tape on permanently and did it cause any problems? I just fixed mine with the tape fix.
Thanks
Mike
Kaylafisk
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 pool. Hayward salt generator. Almost 4 years old. Sta-rite heater.

Postby Kaylafisk » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 20:07

I have a 3 1/2 year old spa-rite gas heater and when I went to check it tonight the SPA & POOL lights were green and my heater won't do anything. I replaced the cognitive 2 weeks ago.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”