Gurgling pipes

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
riteoh
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 55,000 litre in ground with quartzon lining

Gurgling pipes

Postby riteoh » Fri 23 Dec, 2016 18:29

Greetings to all from Australia. I can't seem to google an answer to this question, so hopefully can get an answer here.
A brief summary - I have a solar pool heating system where the water is pumped through PVC pipes to my rubber tubes on the roof of my house, where the water is heated and returned to the pool.

This season since turning the solar pump (separate to pool pump) on, the PVC pipes are constantly gurgling as if there is unreleased air in them, mixing with the pool water.

I'm not seeing air coming into the pool from the pipes however, so not sure what is going on.

I've tried turning the solar on and off to empty all the pipes, backwashing the filter - everything I can think of.

Any help appreciated - the system is about 10 years old, but never given me a moment of trouble. It's still returning warm water to the pool, so doesn't appear to be not working properly - it's just the noise that is irritating!

Thanks.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Gurgling pipes

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 12:37

It may be a suction side air leak. Check you pump basket lid "O" ring and inlet union and lubricate with silicon grease or vaseline.
Where does the flow to the solar pump come from the pool (could air be sucked in there)
Ptp
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool

Postby Ptp » Sat 02 Feb, 2019 23:52

Hi fellow Aussie!
I have the same problem, and I think the pipes are connected the wrong way around.

So instead of the water being pumped up through the little heating tubes, it is pumped to the top of them and then flows through them by gravity, gurgling and waterfall-ing down.

I'll reconnect them the other way in a few weeks and see!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 03 Feb, 2019 08:17

If it worked OK before don't change it
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 04 Feb, 2019 13:39

Hole in rubber pipes letting in air, how old is the heating mat
Kaz
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Compass pool
Magnesium
Glass filter

Postby Kaz » Sat 06 Jan, 2024 20:19

Hi riteoh
What did problem turn out to be in the end? I have the exact same problem as you had.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”