Pool roof heating leaking air+water

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Maya
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 6x8 m, sand filter, roof solar heating mats

Pool roof heating leaking air+water

Postby Maya » Mon 15 Jul, 2019 02:48

Hello,

We have bought a house recently that came with a (working) pool. (When I say « we bought » , I mean we took a loan). The only thing we knew about pools was how to swim in them ;)
A few days ago, after months and months of no problems whatsoever, there were bubbles in the pool when roof heating is on, and there is a place (a part of a vacuum relief valve ?) where there is at first air coming out (hissing) and then soon afterwards water.

Our pool is small (6x8m) and it has a sand filter. I’m posting a few photos and would very much appreciate any ideas you might have concerning our problem. I've marked in red where the air and water are coming from.

Pool maintenance firms are nonexistent here where we live (beautiful French countryside, sadly stricken with depopulation) and pool got to be my “area of expertise”, since my husband is dealing with other maintenance problems (including runaway cows and sheep :).

Could it be that our sand filter is dirty and that the water pressure is too low for the vacuum relief valve to close? Currently it is slightly above 0,6 bar. We change the pressure gauge about a month ago.

Thank you all for your help!
Attachments
Filter.jpg
Manometer.jpg
is this pressure too low?
Manometer.jpg (74.32 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
Roof 1.jpg
air and water coming from a part marked in red
Roof 1.jpg (85.6 KiB) Viewed 1394 times

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Pool roof heating leaking air+water

Postby Teapot » Mon 15 Jul, 2019 05:14

What part of France are you in?
Was the system drained over winter?
If not it's a replacement part as it has probably split.
Maya
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Maya » Mon 15 Jul, 2019 10:50

Teapot wrote:What part of France are you in?
Was the system drained over winter?
If not it's a replacement part as it has probably split.

Thank you for your reply!
Yes the system was drained. When we restarted the system everything worked fine, roof heating included. There were no bubbles or air/water leaking.

I didn't quite get what you mean by this: "If not it's a replacement part as it has probably split."
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 15 Jul, 2019 10:55

If not drained down and system froze over winter something would split with expansion.

The 3 valves on the wall left of the filter are all open so not sure how much water is entering the heating system. If you need to stop the leak to use the pool close the two vertical valves. You may get some water ejected from the safety valve up on the roof.
The part that is leaking just looks like a bung in the end of the pipe run.
Maya
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Maya » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 03:29

Teapot wrote:If not drained down and system froze over winter something would split with expansion.

The 3 valves on the wall left of the filter are all open so not sure how much water is entering the heating system. If you need to stop the leak to use the pool close the two vertical valves. You may get some water ejected from the safety valve up on the roof.
The part that is leaking just looks like a bung in the end of the pipe run.

Thank you for clearing that up.
It was well drained and it worked for months in the spring and summer without a problem.

The valves you mention, are set for filtering without the heating. That is why they are open they are.

I'm having troubles identifying the part I circled in red. Do you happen to know what it is?

Thanx again!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 06:17

I can't see fully the first valve of the set of 3 on the wall to the left of the filter but they all look open.
Valves are open when the handles are in line (parallel ) with the pipe. They are closed when they are at 90deg to the pipe (across) so they look all open passing water into the heating, so not set for filtration. Closing the 2 vertical valves would only allow water to bypass the heating, it's called a bypass loop for this reason.

The part you squared in red, the part that is leaking just looks like a bung in the end of the pipe. It may be that loosening the hose clip you can make the bung fit better.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”