Which uses more gas - larger or smaller heater?

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
rcmcdee
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Indoor pool - 12' x 32' 4.5' deep - propane fired gas heater - salinator and pump

Which uses more gas - larger or smaller heater?

Postby rcmcdee » Sun 29 Sep, 2019 13:05

We have a small 12,000 gallon indoor pool that previously was heated with a RayPak 333,000 BTU unit that just died. As I am looking into replacement possibilities it seems that heater was grossly oversized. I am considering a Hayward H150FDP 150,000 BTU unit but my wife hears that we should buy the H250FDP 250,000 BTU unit because it will heat faster. Given that it is an indoor pool in NY's Hudson Valley that will be used year round, we will basically be maintaining a constant temperature. Which of these units would use more gas to maintain that constant temperature? I currently cycle the pump for 3 hours twice daily.

TIA,
Robb

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Which uses more gas - larger or smaller heater?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 29 Sep, 2019 16:57

Obviously the larger one would burn more gas but come up to temperature quicker and shut off
The smaller one will take longer to get up to temperature burning more gas for a longer period
The solution to to get an accurately sized heater for your pool
lourdeswalter
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: HQPools is here to offer you the best information and reviews for all your backyard pool needs. When summer is upon you, it’s better to have your pool ready and all the accessories available. But, if summer is already in full swing, no worries, our website will make it simple to purchase the best pools and pool supplies without doing hours of research. It won’t take long to get your swimming pool up and ready for friends and family and summertime gatherings.

Re: Which uses more gas - larger or smaller heater?

Postby lourdeswalter » Sun 22 Dec, 2019 22:24

I have Hayward product heated my 20'x40', 36,000 gallon pool from 72 degrees to 87 degrees in about two to theee days during (average) 82 degree days. Works great so far. Costs far less than competitors. Hoping that it will last 7-10 years. At this point, I highly recommend visit High Quality Pool site to read more useful infomation about above ground pool heaters.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”