Planning solar pool heater panels

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
m4gnumek
I'm new here
I'm new here

Planning solar pool heater panels

Postby m4gnumek » Sun 24 Apr, 2022 13:46

Hi. I purchased pool solar heater system for my 12k gallon pool. The panels are 4'x10'. I was planning to install them on my roof but my insurance does not allow it. I have 2 flat aluminum roof over patios connected to the pool enclosure, one patio roof is over the pool equipment but it would only fit 2 panels (maybe 3 if one panel is mounted perpendicularly). My second patio is located 20' away from pool pump, it would fit 4 panels easily.

Not sure if it's better to install 2-3 panels right over the pool pump, install 4 panels 20' away from the pump or 6 panels - 2 over the smaller roof and 4 over the bigger patio?

I've icluded plan picture to give you a better idea.

Could you please advise?

Also, what pump size would you recommend for these setups?
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1282953566.jpg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1282953566.jpg (36.53 KiB) Viewed 727 times

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Planning solar pool heater panels

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 24 Apr, 2022 14:59

What height are the roofs and what dia is the plumbing would give an idea of the pump required although variable speed is always the preference.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
m4gnumek
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby m4gnumek » Sun 24 Apr, 2022 15:15

Hard to tell because there are a lot of different connectors but the pipe coming from the foundation is 2" exterior so I believe its 1.5" interior. The solar panel system pioing is 2.5" exterior and 2" interior.

The roof hight is exactly 8'

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
GeanWatte
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Standard pool dug in the ground, size 20 by 10 meters, concrete interior with ceramic tiles

Postby GeanWatte » Mon 13 Mar, 2023 10:08

Your flat aluminum roof over the pool equipment is a good option for 2-3 panels. In comparison, the second patio could accommodate 4 meetings. Consider installing 6 panels if the roof over the pool equipment can fit another forum. The pump size will depend on the total panel area and the flow rate required for your pool size. It's recommended to have a flow rate of 0.75-1 gallon per minute per square foot of panel area. You could consult a professional or refer to the DIY Solar Pool Heater guide for more details https://poolhelpforum.com/diy-solar-pool-heater/. Good luck with your installation, and enjoy your warm pool!

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”