Raypak touch pad

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
joeblow

Raypak touch pad

Postby joeblow » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:41

I have a Raypak P-R185a-EN spa heater that's about 5 years old (I think). Anyway, it'll turn on, heat for about two minutes, and then shut off. It will repeat this if you turn the power off/on. I know the LCD touch pad control is bad (no display), but would a bad touch pad alone cause the heater to behave this way? Thanks!

Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Raypak touch pad

Postby Pool Clown » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 13:31

It it is possible. Does the display give you any 3 letter codes?
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
joeblow
I'm new here
I'm new here

Raypak touch pad

Postby joeblow » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 13:56

No codes, the LCD rarely displays anything. Sometimes it'll flash some gibberish when I flip the power on. If I recall correctly, I think it displayed normally for a few seconds last week, but I wasn't paying attention to it.

Edit: I'm also thinking I may have a clog in the spa skimmer. I'm guessing that could cause the heater to shut off, too, so I'll have to look into that.

If I do find & clear a skimmer clog, is it possible for the heater to work properly without replacing the touch pad? Just trying to pinch pennies where I can. ;)
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Raypak touch pad

Postby Pool Clown » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 12:42

Before you buy, unplug touchpad from main board, and see if display begins to work again.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
joeblow
I'm new here
I'm new here

Raypak touch pad

Postby joeblow » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 16:30

Thanks, Pool Clown. I did manage to get the LCD to display long enough to show the PRS pressure error right as the LCD & gas switched off. It ran for about 10 minutes before shutting off. I guess at a minimum I'll have to clean my filter and/or strainer line.

I then flipped the circuit breaker, unplugged the touch panel from the PCB, flipped the breaker back on, and tried to get everything restarted, but no luck. I didn't realize that the LCD was part of the PCB until I got in there. Seems like my touch pad is fine & the problem is elsewhere.

What I don't understand is why the LCD is going out right when the whole unit shuts down. I've got the old green PCB. Everything physically looks fine on it, no blown caps or anything, but could a bad PCB alone cause this PRS error & then killing the LCD? Could the LCD/PCB trouble be related to the board itself getting too hot?
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Raypak touch pad

Postby Pool Clown » Thu 25 Aug, 2011 08:47

Is the water temp around 80 when it shuts off? Could be your thermal regulator. Pull it out, and either take a pic of it and post, or if you see rust and corrosion on it, replace it.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”