Minimax 400 heater on only 3 min. then turns off

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Javajoe
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground 35k gal. W/ spa, IntelliFlo variable speed pump, MiniMax 400 heater

Postby Javajoe » Sun 04 Aug, 2013 13:09

1988 MiniMax 400 heater, turns off after about 3 minutes then I need to screw with it to get it to turn on again then only stays on 3 minutes again. Heats really hot when on. I've replaced a few parts last year like transformer, lights etc. any ideas?

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Sun 04 Aug, 2013 19:18

JavaJoe,

If the heater is firing up OK, you can rule out the ignitor. Maybe take a look at the pressure switch? If the pressure switch is bad it can cause the heater to shut off. It's easy enough to replace, costs about 35 to 40 bucks.

-CG
Javajoe
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground 35k gal. W/ spa, IntelliFlo variable speed pump, MiniMax 400 heater

Postby Javajoe » Sun 04 Aug, 2013 20:26

Well, I opened the front cover and decided to turn on the heater and check the flame and make sure it was nice and blue and no clogged areas. Well it started right up and stayed lit and all burners were nice and blue.I wonder if having the front cover off gave it some air flow and helped. It seemed to act like it got too hot and shut off so maybe a little air flow and more ventilation helped. I ran it for 20 minutes and the heater didn't go off. If ventilation is the problem then I will install a better vented cover.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 05 Aug, 2013 19:38

JavaJoe,

Glad you got it working! Did you notice any debris in the heater that could have caused the poor ventilation? Is you heater equipped with a blower? I don't think that model has one but curious to know what may have caused the issue. I'm working with more heaters now and am trying to learn more about symptom/cause/solutions with some of the different model gas heaters.

-CG

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”