Leak - Solar Hot Water System

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Davo23

Leak - Solar Hot Water System

Postby Davo23 » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 03:29

Hi There,

Inherited a pool with a house purchase 12m ago.
22,000 above ground vinyl pool with sand filter and solar hot water.

Was all going well until the end of last summer when I noticed the water rapidly going down. Was going to get a pool tech out however it eventually stopped.

I realised it was actually the solar hot water, as it did not go down all winter when the solar was off.

I had someone out today from sunbather who advised they could not find a leak that would be substantial enough to lose what i estimate to be around 250L in 9 hours. Or approx 1L every 2mins. (This was today with solar set to "run" rather than "auto").

Tech guy said the small leak he found was dripping only once every 3-5 seconds which would not amount to 250L over a day for sure. So he's suggested that as he can't find anything (only here for 10 mins max so not sure how thorough he was or if that's pretty standard to find a leak) that it must be in the pipes underground.

If that's the case... is there actually a fix or do I just give up on the solar hot water or just fill up 250L a day forever? No idea where the pipes run but it's a good 15-20m from the base of the house to the pump in a straight line which would mean under a patio etc. Or if It follows the garden bed would be around 25-30m.

Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Leak - Solar Hot Water System

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 04:08

Can you run the pump with the solar side isolated
If you still loose water then it would be on the pressure side (the output side of the pump not the suction side)
Or do you isolate at the pad for the solar side? if so then the leak would be under ground
The only other option would be to re run the pipe work in flexible and leave the old buried

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”